Pistol Smith Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
I too, like dark guns. However, I have some stainless guns that are keepers.

My Kahr pistols, are stainless and they have some form of coating on them to make them black. I have heard that all Kimbers are stainless and they coat them with something to make a dark gun.

I have used the "epoxy paints" from Brownell's and have been pleased with them on a carbon steel gun. I used it on my pin gun (two tone) and it has held up after thousands upon thousands of rounds and being dropped into a gun bag many, many times. I would check with them (customer service is knowledgeable) and see if it will last on stainless.

Good Luck, Buddy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never thought I'd buy a stainless Colt until I saw the Series 80 National Match Trophy the other day. A set of pictures of one in Auction Arms
made me crazy again.

Mine will be here Wednesday, to join my seven blued or parkerized Colts, Remington Rand, Ithaca, and Springfield Armory 1911's.

Should be able to post a photo of a 1977 National Match with a 2007 National Match. Black and white.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love a deep rich blue, like my original Smith 29-2 or Dan Wesson .357 from the 70's.
But I just had to order one of those new Remington R1s in stainless. Quite possibly the most asthetically sexy Stainless 1911 ever(IMHO of course). Liked the looks of the Ruger too but it was those front serrations and blued parts that turned me off...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a fan of SS 1911 guns but recently went to the gun show and came back with an SR1911 Commander. It looks really good and no front serrations. It has a blasted finish and it is trimmed in black. I don't know how the black safeties, slide release, MSH will hold up but it's a sharp looking pistol. Now, if it just don't weld the slide to the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stainless is Ugly

As Henry Ford said about the model T - "You can have it in any color as long as the color is black. Do we really want to go back to this way of thinking?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could not agree more I don't like all stainless guns. If it were mine I would polish the frame to 100grit and have the slide finished in one of the many available finishes. Not much preference there are many good options. Always wanted to try a self lubricating finish like NP3

41 - 50 of 50 Posts