Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be the best gun for IDPA use? Which would be the best gun for carry use? Would there be much difference in the accuracy in comparing the 4" Carry to the 5" target barrel? Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
151 Posts
The stainless target would be fine for IDPA. I have heard of Kimbers adjustable sights breaking so all my 1911's have fixed sights. If you are going to shoot alot of competition with a high round count I would stay away from the Pro Carry as the frame is aluminum alloy.

Kimber brought out the Pro Carry HD due to requests for a Pro with a steel frame as some people questioned the alloy frames life span. I have both, a stainless classic and pro carry HD and can't tell the difference in accuracy short of a Ransom Rest. They both are accurate enough for IDPA. The Pro's 4 inch barrel may be easier and more comfortable for daily carry depending on your build,

Just my .02 worth

Long live the 1911

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Duke on 2001-10-08 00:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would recommend a Custom Classic, the basic 5" Kimber, in either blue or stainless. My reasoing is as follows:
1. Steel frame for durability; if you really get into IDPA, you are going to put a lot of rounds through this gun, so avoid anything with an aluminum frame (i.e. Pro Carry)
2. Longer sight radius, which you may prefer in a piece used for competition. If this is not a factor, then the Pro Carry HD is OK.
3. You don't need adjustable sights in IDPA. In fact they are just another thing that can break on you.
4. Sooner or later you will probably end up modifying this gun in some way, so it is usually better to start with a basic no frills gun. The Kimber Custom Classic has all of the basics out of the box: usable sights, no sharp edges, decent trigger, adequate accuracy.
Bill Go

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bill Go on 2001-10-10 17:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
274 Posts
On 2001-10-07 21:11, s&w686 wrote:
Which would be the best gun for IDPA use? Which would be the best gun for carry use? Would there be much difference in the accuracy in comparing the 4" Carry to the 5" target barrel? Thanks, Chad
Here is how I see and do it. I have both a Kimber Classic Stainless Target (CST) and a Classic Stainless (CS). I carry the CS and I compete with the CST. For carry go with fixed sights and what ever you can shoot and carry easily. I find a lot of reassurance with an all steel .45 on my hip.

For IDPA, or what ever competition you want to get into, adjustable sights are best for me. Why, because I am always playing with my loads to find out which one is the best. I have used a standard post as well as fiber optic fronts. Having different fronts means you have to be able to re-sight in with ammo of the day and whatever you have up front.

Others have had problems with the Kimber adjustable rear. Mine is doing quite well with several thousand rounds down range. If it breaks, a Bomar will replace it.

Bottom line, if you want to do a lot of competitiive shooting, go with a steel gun. If you are going to carry it with only enough range shooting to be comfident in it, go with a light weight AL frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.