Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy with a SA GI model that wants to put on a serrated front ramp (King or Millet), but it's staked-on. Does anyone have an opinion as to the quality and durability of a staked-on front sight?

Is there a way to do it that will make it hold up to duty and concealed carry use? He asked me how hard it is to put one on, and I'm just not sure, so I thought I'd ask the pro's. There's a special tool for it, right?

Eric

· Registered
1,764 Posts
The staked sight is very durable, IF installed properly. The reason the older 'smiths silver soldered sights was because too many were NOT installed properly, and people were "gun shy" of the sight coming off.
For the best details of doing the job RIGHT, get a copy of Kunhausen's Colt 1911 Gunsmithing manual.
Do it as per his instructions, and it'll stay put forever.

· Registered
345 Posts
Well, almost...almost.
The reason many of the "older pistolsmiths" silver soldered front sights onto SA slides was that, being made in a foreign country, the slide's slot (mortice) was wider (a metric size, in all probability) than the Colt slide's slot,and staking the tenon would not secure it in the oversize aperture.
At one time MMC made a special front ramp sight (with the proper sized tenon)for the SA slides, but they are no longer being sold.
Unless the SA people have gotten Religion and gone to a standard mortice size identical to Colt's, get your replacement ramp and torch, silver solder, flux, etc out and learn firsthand how rediculously easy it is to silver solder on a front blade without messing up the slide's finish. (Sarcastic guffaw)

· Registered
40 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly there was for sale a correct deminsion stake on front sight.There was three sizes sold..
Can't remember who,maybe King's,but I did purchase a couple of them and installed them.
They are still there but of coarse there is no name on them..
I would ask at Brownells if they might have such a sight..

Just checked an older King's catalog and they list three stem sizes for their front sights..Perhaps they are still available..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bompa on 2001-08-26 22:30 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.