Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most recently I viewed a very bizzare training tape of an STI being turned into a total "frankenstein." Pistol was being equipped with a non standard sear which needed about .025 removed to work with the thumb safety. Kiss terms like "Ordinance", "Mid Ordinance" or "Match standards" down the tube. The thumb safety itself was totally butched. Ground here, ground there, ground everywhere. The guy even screwed with the hammer overtravel to "save the sear from wear". Actually, that is what is good about a 21 pound mainspring. Keeps the gun in battery a bit longer and doesn't allow so much overtravel during hammer compression/lock sequence. Oh, yea, he even messed with the hammer camming surface. A regular madman with the stone in hand so to speak.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HeiloMan on 2001-06-16 00:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
Training tape made by whom, for whom and to train for what? Confusion runs rampant through my head....

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...and mine. Visions of alien smiths from Hell...bent on mass destruction of Earths only defense...various forms of the 1911 and others!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2001-06-16 18:45, Tom Freeman wrote:
Training tape made by whom, for whom and to train for what? Confusion runs rampant through my head....
Tom
AF Shooting Team
Tom: These tapes had been one of those gunshow specials on "Building A Wide Body 1911". A three part series, the film focused on fitting up and selection of components for an SVI frame/slide. The guy did a good job on fitting up the slide & frame. But why would someone use arbritrary meathods of fitting a thumb safety to a sear? Such as....... Removing material from the "fingers" or "feet" (can't think of the correct name for that portion of the sear) of the sear? Messing with over-travel of the hammer from full cock. Does that not mess with the disconnect feature built into a 1911? The over-travel past full cock must be there for a reason? Eliminating overtravel past full cock could mess with the disconnector clearances or prevent disconnect? Correct me if I am wrong, but most hammers have a certain amount of overtravel? Why not use an SVI sear (made of tools steel) on an SVI frame? The 1911 seems to have considerable variance in the tolerances and dimensions from each manufacturer to another manfacturer. Using non standard techniques of removing material from the bottom of the sears feet to get it to work with a particuliar safety seems a non-standard fitting technique. That could create problems down the road for the smith repairing the gun thinking only one part needs replacement. Figuring out (without dimensional readings) what is what? I like SVI and wouldn't mind building one. I would be very carefull and particuliar on what components I select. Dimensions, material and hardness specifications seem very important. I don't want to build a frankenstien gun. :smile:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty cool graphics gyp_c2. Actually, I have learned a lot from these gunsmith gunshow tapes. Some of the guys look like they have a bemused (albiet ecstatic look) on their faces. Could picture them partying off hours with Leonard Skinnard Band plasting in the rear of the shop. DANGER, DANGER.......ONE MUST LEARN HOW TO RUIN A GUN BY OBSERVATION. THAT IS, TO UNDUE AND REPAIR AMATURE SMITHING ATTEMPTS? Or a woodby gunsmith could work for several differient gun companies and get hired in the Service Department of several gunmakers to see that type of unique handy work? Scary isn't it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HeiloMan on 2001-06-17 15:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HeiloMan on 2001-06-17 15:33 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.