Pistol Smith Forum banner

strange problem with model 5906

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dangerousdan 
When the slide chambers a round, the next one in line gets dragged forward a little in the feed lips. The bullet rests somewhere over the start of the feed ramp. When you drop the mag, the weight pulls down and the shell gets levered up and out of the feed lips.

With just a few rounds in the mag, I bet it doesn't quite want to fall free? Either that, or it comes out w/o dumping a round? Changing out the springs msy cure it. More tension holds the round under the feed lips so that it can't slip forward. Otherwise, perhaps that mag is worn to the point where the lips have spread slightly out-of-spec.

It's been quite while since I've owned a double-column S&W auto. So, forgive me if I'm bit fuzzy.:smile:

Try my theory: Does it do it on a nearly-full mag, where the spring exerts the most upward tension? Or, does it occur when the mag is nearer the end, when the spring is relieved? If it's the latter, I suspect that ordering up some new springs would resolve it.

BTW, is this happening on the 15/16rd mag, or with neutered ones?

I don't think it's any concern with regards to its reliability. It just makes the reload more tedious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.