Pistol Smith Forum banner

strange problem with model 5906

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dangerousdan 
#1 ·
I was shooting at the range the other day when the range officer called a cease fire.
When I dropped the magazine that still had rounds in it out of the gun, one cartridge fell out of the magazine well. I thought that it may be a magazine problem so I tried another magazine and shot a couple of rounds and then released the magazine and one stray round fell out after the mag came out..??
Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Any sugestions?

#2 ·
When the slide chambers a round, the next one in line gets dragged forward a little in the feed lips. The bullet rests somewhere over the start of the feed ramp. When you drop the mag, the weight pulls down and the shell gets levered up and out of the feed lips.

With just a few rounds in the mag, I bet it doesn't quite want to fall free? Either that, or it comes out w/o dumping a round? Changing out the springs msy cure it. More tension holds the round under the feed lips so that it can't slip forward. Otherwise, perhaps that mag is worn to the point where the lips have spread slightly out-of-spec.

#4 ·
Victor,

That is exactly what this firearm is doing?
So, are you saying that this is normal?

I am wondering if this is normal and should I trust my life to this side arm?
(a little redundant, isn't it?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dangerousdan on 2001-08-25 19:26 ]</font>

#5 ·
It's been quite while since I've owned a double-column S&W auto. So, forgive me if I'm bit fuzzy.:smile:

Try my theory: Does it do it on a nearly-full mag, where the spring exerts the most upward tension? Or, does it occur when the mag is nearer the end, when the spring is relieved? If it's the latter, I suspect that ordering up some new springs would resolve it.

BTW, is this happening on the 15/16rd mag, or with neutered ones?

I don't think it's any concern with regards to its reliability. It just makes the reload more tedious.

#6 ·
Okey dokey,
I put a high cap mag in and chanbered a round then released the mag. Sure enough, the next round was about half way down the feed lips. I stripped out all but about 3 rounds and tried it and a round fell out like I described above. So, when the spring tension is high, it holds it about .5 way down the feed lips. When spring tension is low, the round does not have enough force to hold it in the magazine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.