Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this light? They sell for around $30 at a local gunshop.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yup, I've got one. False economy, in my opinion. It's an okay light, but nowhere near as good as the comparably sized Sure Fire 6P.

I bought my Scorpion at a local gunshop as well because no one at that time carried the Sure Fires. I took the Scorpion to a 3-day pistol class that included a lengthy night shoot and was sorely disappointed, especially compared to the Sure Fires the other (smarter) folks were using. I ordered one the next day. I now have 2 6Ps, a 3P and a 9P converted with the new lamp assembly to 200+ lumens -- it's a mother! I now keep the Scorpion in the car console as a backup light.

Spend the extra $20 for the Sure Fire.

Chad

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I own both Scorpions and Surefires. I'm not quite as disappointed with the Scorpion as Chad appears to be, but I still agree that the Surefire is a better light. Both lights are quality made, but the Surefire just seems a little bit stronger in construction and light intensity.

The Surefire also lets you change lamp assemblies from the standard 65 lumens to 120 lumens. Of course your battery life is cut in 1/3 (lasts only about 20 minutes), but the light it puts out is incredible.

That being said, I would still recommend the Scorpion if someone was set on getting one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Surefire is now offering a plastic version that closes the price gap with the Scorpion if cost is the issue.They are both good lights but the Surefire is far away superior. Get a spares carrier that holds six batteries and a spare reflector assy. It's money WELL spent

·
Registered
248 Posts
On 2001-07-08 15:49, Shane Kropf wrote:
I own both Scorpions and Surefires. I'm not quite as disappointed with the Scorpion as Chad appears to be, but I still agree that the Surefire is a better light. Both lights are quality made, but the Surefire just seems a little bit stronger in construction and light intensity.
Shane, you're right, I may have been a bit harsh in my assessment. The Scorpion isn't a bad light. In fact, I really like the rubber sheath. It was only when I did a side-by-side that I realized how much better the Sure Fire is.

Scorpion advantages:
  • Inexpensive[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Good grip[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Decent illumination[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Relatively sturdy & light weight[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]

Sure Fire advantages:
  • Bright f'ing light! :smile: with interchangeable lens assemblies[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Pre-focused beam without dark spots[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Heavy duty construction[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Momentary switch rather than off/on tailcap works better for the light/move/shoot technique that I use[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
With all that said, the Scorpion doesn't suck. It sure beats 90% of the other lights out there. But it's not a Sure Fire.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-07-09 16:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess I'm the only Scorpion fan here. I like the Surefires but the Scorpion is a great deal. Advantages over 6P: 1/wider focus area brilliantly illuminates a larger area. I've used mine in training classes and tactical matches and it works very well. Ever hear of tunnel vision, well a pinpoint focused light (6P)is about the same result in the dark IMO. 2/ replacement lamps are $5 not $20. My light is about 4 years old now and is on the original lamp! It also comes with a spare! 3/ $35 vs $70 Just my opinion...

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're not alone DblTap.

FWIW Chad, your last Sure Fire "advantage" is not an issue. The Scorpion tailcap switch is made to be used as either momentary on or on/off.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the kind and informative replies :smile: ! I have used Surefire products for several years, and while they are good lights, they are a bit overpriced, especially the forearm lights. The Scorpion looks to be more durable than the Surefire due to the rubber coating. Ken Hackathorn recommends putting a piece of rubber innertubing over the Surefire light for shock resistance. Louis Awerbuck recommended placing a fiber washer behind the bezel on the Scorpion to remove the "dark spots". Anyways, I was scanning through the current Surefire line, as well as the prices, and I think that they've grown a little too big for their britches, IMHO :grin: .

·
Registered
248 Posts
On 2001-07-09 22:41, Accuracy Ltd wrote:
You're not alone DblTap.

FWIW Chad, your last Sure Fire "advantage" is not an issue. The Scorpion tailcap switch is made to be used as either momentary on or on/off.
Hmmm, having used the Scorpion extensively for night shoot classes and flashlight stages at the KS Indoor IDPA championships, I can say with some surety that it is an issue. The off/on tailcap can work as a momentary switch, but it takes too much finesse to do it consistently under stress. I ended up with the light either on or off (generally whichever one I didn't want :roll:).

At the same KS Indoor match, I found two additional problems, though one might not be specific to the Scorpion.

1) I shot the match like I would carry in real life. I didn't use a nifty light holster. I kept the Scorpion in the pocket of my cover jacket. Same place it would be on a long walk at night.

On a flashlight garage clearing stage where you started seated in a car, the rubber cover of the Scorpion hung up on the lining of the pocket as I tried to get it out to start the stage. It was intensely frustrating and cost me a great deal of time. I'm glad I found out there, though, rather than in real life.

2) The second problem might not be endemic to the Scorpion, but it was a pretty serious failure. Shooting another flashlight stage, my Harries technique got a little sloppy and I allowed the barrel of my BHP.40 to get too close to the bezel of the light. The concussion from the muzzle blast blew up the lamp, plunging me and the SO into darkness with three threat targets left. The blast didn't harm the glass, but there were scorch marks on the bezel. The lamp wasn't shattered, it just wouldn't work anymore. Fortunately, the Scorpion does come with a 2nd lamp tucked away inside the bezel, so I was able to shoot the rest of the match.

As I said, this might have happened to any light, but I've since shot several night shoots and pistol classes with the Sure Fires without encountering any of these problems. Of course, my technique might have improved, too :smile:.

So, yes, the Scorpion is reasonably priced and a good light. However, for a serious nightstand or self-defense light, I'm sticking with the Sure Fires.

Chad

·
Registered
248 Posts
On 2001-07-09 23:23, Clay wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the kind and informative replies :smile: ! I have used Surefire products for several years, and while they are good lights, they are a bit overpriced, especially the forearm lights. The Scorpion looks to be more durable than the Surefire due to the rubber coating. Ken Hackathorn recommends putting a piece of rubber innertubing over the Surefire light for shock resistance. Louis Awerbuck recommended placing a fiber washer behind the bezel on the Scorpion to remove the "dark spots". Anyways, I was scanning through the current Surefire line, as well as the prices, and I think that they've grown a little too big for their britches, IMHO :grin: .
Clay,

Sure Fire's prices are pretty outrageous. But take a look at http://www.botachtactical.com for some good sales. They have the 6P Nitrolon (the plastic bodied one) for about $45. Not bad. A while back they were running a sale on the regular 6 and 9Ps that looked pretty good, too.

I hope I'm not coming across as bashing the Scorpion. I think it's a pretty decent light. But I think of picking a nightstand/self-defense light as kind of like buying magazines for my 1911. I'm going with the Wilsons, even if they do cost more. The price of failure is too high.

Chad

·
Registered
372 Posts
Any of you guys own/try the SureFire M2?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just recently bought both a SF 6P and a Scorpion, mainly because I've heard good things about both and I wanted to see for myself which I like better. Although I haven't yet had much of an opportunity to use either, I have the 6P mounted on the forearm of my AR. While running around in the dark one night trying it out on the rifle, I noticed that it is nearly impossible to have the tail-cap of the 6P in precisely the correct position for the momentary switch to function.....not to mention its not a very "positive" switch either. By that I mean it "gives" so little that I don't know whether its going to light up when I press on it or not. Maybe that's just my 6P??? If I'm doing something wrong I would welcome pointers too. OTOH the mom. switch on the scorp. works like a charm no matter what. Personally I like the rubber coating and the smaller profile of the scorp. But, they do both seem like excellent lights.

BTW, I haven't such sticker shock in awhile as when I priced Surefire's weapons lights/mounts! :eek: Of course I don't use mine for social encounters or perhaps it might be worth the money.

Sam

·
Registered
79 Posts
I definitely do not see the Scorpions as being false economy. I own both SureFire and Scorpions. Yes, the SureFire has a little better fixed focus light. The Surefire also costs twice as much, the replacement lights are another $18-20 because you don't just get the light, but the whole reflector.

The scorpion does a fine job lighting. I don't know what your flashlight needs are, but chances are the Scorpion will provide more than enough light for anything at 50 yards or less. I find that I can illuminate a person clearly at 100 yards with either light, assuming I needed to clearly see a person at that distance. At that distance, the SureFire is better.

The Scorpion, aside from costing 1/2 as much, also comes with a spare bulb. Replacement bulbs are about $5 each, ~1/4 the cost of SureFire. The rubber sheath helps to protect the light's body, cushioning the body from damage if dropped, as well as providing a positve grip. As far as the quality of the beam, keep in mind that the Scorpion has an adjustible focus so you can do wider flood lighting or more pinpointed lighting, but the pinpointed lighting is not as good as the SureFire's, but the SureFire won't do the widere flood lighting either. Look at it this way. A fixed focus camera lens, (say 800 mm) will provide a crisper picture than an adjustible zoom lens that ranges 200-800. Which do you buy? Which has more practical application for you and your situation?

False economy? No. The important thing is to pick the right tool for the job. If you want a light to put on your rifle to shoot attackers at 100+ yards, go with the SureFire, no questions asked. If your needs are within 50 yards, I would not hesitate to use the Scorpion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
O.K., I'm another Surefire fan. I've been carrying my original 6P on duty full time since 1990 and have never had a failure; despite constant abuse. It is in constant use and I have yet to replace the bulb/bezel. (I find this hard to believe myself). I have outfitted all our departments 870s with Surefire dedicated fore-ends, and my personal Benelli M1 and the tactical teams Colt 9mm SMGs are also outfitted with Surefire lights, again with no failures of any kind experienced. I have recently been carrying a Surefire M3 and am very satisfied with that also.
The Scorpian is a decent light for the money; but I have seen them fail in Police Academy classes. Several failures to illuminate with new batteries and bulbs; and once a failure to extinguish; no matter how many times we clicked the button. The latter instance could be worse than no light at all in a tactical situation. Sometimes you get what you pay for; and why trust your life to anything but the best?
1911fan, if you leave about a nickel's wide gap between the tailcap and the main body you shouldn't have any problem.

Safe shooting,
Mark Garrity

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not much on the 6P--had one fail right out of the box, and trying to get the company to honor warranty was like pulling teeth. I much prefer Streamlight products and have two Scorpions.

Taped a Scorpion on my CAR 15/with 10" barrel [no place for mount] with electrical tape. Worked great at Gunsite for night shoots during 556 class. The rubber cover really helped. Doubt I could have done that with a 6P.

When evrything is considered, I'll take the Scorpion. GLV

·
Registered
372 Posts
As of today, I own both a Surefire, a new Z2, and a Scorpion, so I guess I'm qualified to comment :lol:

I like my Scorpion a lot, its a great utility light, and will remain in use for such purposes. Will go in the glove box.

That being said, I like the Z2 BETTER. The beam has no dark spots, and isn't as diluted. And with the lanyard loop, it makes a way better option for personal defense. I got the lanyard set up so I can let the light fall out my hand, to be able to use the hand to reload or whatever, and I can flip it right back into my hand when I need it. Way cool IMO :smile: Also, the SF lets you use a 120 lumen lamp. I don't have one yet, but I think I'm gonna get one to check it out. I can only imagine how bright it is, considering how blazing the stock lamp is.

Also, with the Z2, you get the lock out tail cap for transport.

Certainly more expensive than the Scorpion, but worth it IMO. I paid 72 total for the Z2.

I'm not throwing away my Scorpion or anything, its a great light, but I see myself using the SF more now :smile:

Daily News at: http://www.keepandbeararms.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-08-02 23:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got the scorpion and like it. My only issue is that the batteries (not Surefire's fault) only have a true use life of about an hour...they may have a shelf life of several years, but you basically get an hour's worth of time from $12 worth of batteries.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bought a Scorpion today. I'm gonna give it a run at the Rangemaster Oct. Combatives class in Dallas.
Thanks for all the imput :smile: .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.