Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Yup, I've got one. False economy, in my opinion. It's an okay light, but nowhere near as good as the comparably sized Sure Fire 6P.

I bought my Scorpion at a local gunshop as well because no one at that time carried the Sure Fires. I took the Scorpion to a 3-day pistol class that included a lengthy night shoot and was sorely disappointed, especially compared to the Sure Fires the other (smarter) folks were using. I ordered one the next day. I now have 2 6Ps, a 3P and a 9P converted with the new lamp assembly to 200+ lumens -- it's a mother! I now keep the Scorpion in the car console as a backup light.

Spend the extra $20 for the Sure Fire.

Chad

· Registered
248 Posts
On 2001-07-08 15:49, Shane Kropf wrote:
I own both Scorpions and Surefires. I'm not quite as disappointed with the Scorpion as Chad appears to be, but I still agree that the Surefire is a better light. Both lights are quality made, but the Surefire just seems a little bit stronger in construction and light intensity.
Shane, you're right, I may have been a bit harsh in my assessment. The Scorpion isn't a bad light. In fact, I really like the rubber sheath. It was only when I did a side-by-side that I realized how much better the Sure Fire is.

Scorpion advantages:
  • Inexpensive[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Good grip[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Decent illumination[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Relatively sturdy & light weight[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]

Sure Fire advantages:
  • Bright f'ing light! :smile: with interchangeable lens assemblies[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Pre-focused beam without dark spots[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Heavy duty construction[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
  • Momentary switch rather than off/on tailcap works better for the light/move/shoot technique that I use[/*:m:3pmkf3uk]
With all that said, the Scorpion doesn't suck. It sure beats 90% of the other lights out there. But it's not a Sure Fire.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-07-09 16:57 ]</font>

· Registered
248 Posts
On 2001-07-09 22:41, Accuracy Ltd wrote:
You're not alone DblTap.

FWIW Chad, your last Sure Fire "advantage" is not an issue. The Scorpion tailcap switch is made to be used as either momentary on or on/off.
Hmmm, having used the Scorpion extensively for night shoot classes and flashlight stages at the KS Indoor IDPA championships, I can say with some surety that it is an issue. The off/on tailcap can work as a momentary switch, but it takes too much finesse to do it consistently under stress. I ended up with the light either on or off (generally whichever one I didn't want :roll:).

At the same KS Indoor match, I found two additional problems, though one might not be specific to the Scorpion.

1) I shot the match like I would carry in real life. I didn't use a nifty light holster. I kept the Scorpion in the pocket of my cover jacket. Same place it would be on a long walk at night.

On a flashlight garage clearing stage where you started seated in a car, the rubber cover of the Scorpion hung up on the lining of the pocket as I tried to get it out to start the stage. It was intensely frustrating and cost me a great deal of time. I'm glad I found out there, though, rather than in real life.

2) The second problem might not be endemic to the Scorpion, but it was a pretty serious failure. Shooting another flashlight stage, my Harries technique got a little sloppy and I allowed the barrel of my BHP.40 to get too close to the bezel of the light. The concussion from the muzzle blast blew up the lamp, plunging me and the SO into darkness with three threat targets left. The blast didn't harm the glass, but there were scorch marks on the bezel. The lamp wasn't shattered, it just wouldn't work anymore. Fortunately, the Scorpion does come with a 2nd lamp tucked away inside the bezel, so I was able to shoot the rest of the match.

As I said, this might have happened to any light, but I've since shot several night shoots and pistol classes with the Sure Fires without encountering any of these problems. Of course, my technique might have improved, too :smile:.

So, yes, the Scorpion is reasonably priced and a good light. However, for a serious nightstand or self-defense light, I'm sticking with the Sure Fires.

Chad

· Registered
248 Posts
On 2001-07-09 23:23, Clay wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the kind and informative replies :smile: ! I have used Surefire products for several years, and while they are good lights, they are a bit overpriced, especially the forearm lights. The Scorpion looks to be more durable than the Surefire due to the rubber coating. Ken Hackathorn recommends putting a piece of rubber innertubing over the Surefire light for shock resistance. Louis Awerbuck recommended placing a fiber washer behind the bezel on the Scorpion to remove the "dark spots". Anyways, I was scanning through the current Surefire line, as well as the prices, and I think that they've grown a little too big for their britches, IMHO :grin: .
Clay,

Sure Fire's prices are pretty outrageous. But take a look at http://www.botachtactical.com for some good sales. They have the 6P Nitrolon (the plastic bodied one) for about $45. Not bad. A while back they were running a sale on the regular 6 and 9Ps that looked pretty good, too.

I hope I'm not coming across as bashing the Scorpion. I think it's a pretty decent light. But I think of picking a nightstand/self-defense light as kind of like buying magazines for my 1911. I'm going with the Wilsons, even if they do cost more. The price of failure is too high.

Chad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.