Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with sustituting Large Pistol MAGNUM primers for standard Large Pistol in 45acp with a 200gr jacketed and AA#5 or something similar?
I'm out of primers and was just thinking that with the slower powders, maybe a reduction of powder weight in an uniform amount could be calculated to compensate for the hotter primer. Has anyone come up with an amount to decrease as a "rule of thumb" or is it just go to the minimum and work up again...I'm sure that's the safest way, just seems like many others must have found themselves in a similar situation...Might be a real handy thing to know in an emergency?!...besides I still have tons of Magnums :wink:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Back it off 0.3-0.5 grains. I use Federal small pistol magnum primers in my 9x19's and 40's. Small rifle in my major PF Super.

I use magnums so I can light off more powder in the barrel and use less powder.

I don’t know if it helps, but it makes me feel all fluffy inside.

I think Winchester says their large pistol primers are good for either standard or magnum loads.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Freeman on 2001-08-18 22:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...somehow...I knew you 'd have tried this at LEAST once!

Thanks...I had figured a hotter primer would be not so bad with a moderate load of a slower powder...I have some to try and I'll load up a six pack of mags or so with incremental increases to get back to proper function...Turns out this one likes the 200gr MUCH better than any of the 230s...

Thanks again Hozer...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.