Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good load/bullet for knocking down bowling pins, etc. The discussions on here are usually about expansion and penetration in animals/people.

This time I've got the task of shooting against my father with his .41mag and me with my CZ. I need to be able to knock over some bowling pins and firewood as quickly as possible. I'm already out gunned as far as power, but I figured I might as well get the best "wood" knockdown power I could right?

I ASSuME that a round that penetrates would NOT be preffered in this situation. I need to transfer the power into WOOD knowdown power :smile:

· Registered
493 Posts
When I was shooting pins (1977-1981) there weren't any commonly available 147 gr. bullets for the 9mm. I had adopted the 158 gr. swc load from the #43 Lyman manual (I beleive it went 1030fps or so) but I did not even consider it for pins. Those that did bring 9mm for use on the pins were using 125s and were sorely disapointed when the pin would lazily roll to the rear of the steel top table and stop.

My guess is that that 158 load would be much better. The one thing a bowling pin understands is momentum.. which is roughly proportional to "power factor" (vel X bullet weight / 1000). a PF of about 180 should be about minimum but I always used one of about 230. In 1977 Ad Clark won the Second Chance match with an 8 3/8" model 29 and a PF of 350 (I was second by .63 sec. total for 10 tables) that was the last year a really high power factor won. The rest - at least as long as I followed the matches - were won with PF in the 200 range.

Its a fun and instructive pastime so long as the guns are relevant.

Good luck!
Jim H.

597 Posts
158 Semi Wadcutters are problebly the best in 9mm.But I think you would be better off with a 45 or 10mm.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 38 Super Combat Commander on 2001-09-29 14:27 ]</font>

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just starting shooting pins at a local range. I would like to use both the .45 and the 9mm just for the experince in both calibers. I thought less people probably used the 9 for pins so I would start there.

As I said in my first post, my first assumption was to head in the heavy/slow arena which I assume would be in the 147gr SWC.

So now that we have added .45 to this, what would be a reccomendation for a load/bullet? 230gr SWC? Powder?

I don't reload, but my father does and will be reloading for me. We talked for quite some time this weekend about it, and since he has never loaded for the .45acp I promised him I'd ask. He reloads mostly for .41mag .44mag .38spcl and .357mag. Using Unique and H110 powder. Unique usually for the target loads and H110 for the magnum loads. He said he would prefer to not add more/different powder into his routine, but I'm sure I could persuade him....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jrf on 2001-09-30 20:50 ]</font>

· Registered
30 Posts
Before my bride took pity on my efforts and bought me a .45, I chased pins with a BHP in 9mm. I did about OK with it and I'm pretty sure it did a lot to improve my accuracy. You don't get a lot of credit for off-axis hits with the nine. So there were days when I saw more Deadwood than Calamity Jane.
I very much liked the D&J 147 gr SWC sitting on 7.1 of AA#7, seated as far out as the magazine allowed. Less effective, but not by much is a 147 gr. TC offered by many casters. This chrono'd at near 1120 fps.
This is about a max load so should be approached with some caution if not trepidation. There is a "book" load using VV N350 that is nearly as good.

For the .45 ACP, my favorite is the 235 gr. SWC ("pinbuster") from R&R bullets loaded over 7.1 gr. of VV N350. PF is about 205 IIRC. I seat this one using the rn seating stem set to the correct OAL for 230 gr. ball. This gets the bullet on the feed ramp at the right time in my gun. YMMV
This is a stout load but nicely inside published data. An 18.5 or 20 lb recoil spring with a shok buff is a good idea.

HTH
Cheers,

Norm

· Registered
66 Posts
I will chime in with my two cents worth even if these are different powders from those you propose.
I have been using a 124 grain practice bullet(Copper plated-I shoot indoors only) over 4.1 grain W231.This is a mild load and economical. When I actually go to the pin match I load 147 Grain Speer Gold Dots over the same load without changing anything else. This is a heavy loading and will take a pin off the table very satisfactorily. I am of the opinion that a hollow point may increase the size of the sweet spot.(Nothing specific to back that up)By the way, I shoot a CZ75 B.
I am also curious about the rules of your pin shoots. Here in Maryland, 9mm is a minor caliber and the pins are set further back on the table. The fast times with the 9mm run slower than the major caliber times i.e. 4+ sec versus ~3.5 sec.

· Registered
663 Posts
The local-level matches around here have .22, small bore, and big-bore classes. I usually use my little compensated Makarov for small-bore; it's barely powerful enough, but manages, is dirt cheap to shoot, and utterly reliable. Just got some "Silver Bear" ammo for it (more Russian stuff) that has a 120 JHP as opposed to the usual 95 grainer. Maybe that'll help. In .45, for 10 years or so I've been using National Bullet's 215 Keith-style SWC, the copperized version. I use Blue Dot powder-- wont' say just how much because it varies as much as a grain (to get my 1,020 FPS), from lot to lot. If you wanted to try Blue Dot and the 215, I'd say start at 9 grains and work your way up. It's the only powder I've been able to get the speed with without warning signs. I don't think it's a way-out-on-the edge load or anything, but it sure whacks pins good. The big flat nose does give a slight edge with off-center hits, as will a big-mouthed hollow point. I have proven this to my satisfaction in careful testing.

For a long time it was SOP to use 240, 260, and even heavier bullets in .45 ACP. They do take a pin off nicely, but the slower movers are more ricochet prone, and don't activate a compensator nearly as well as a faster, 200-ish bullet. Some guys are using very fast 185's and even 165's. Haven't tried them myself.

Speaking of ricochets, make gawd-awful sure you and everybody else has good glasses on when there's pin shooting going on. I have seen maybe 10 people (including me) take some serious thumps from whole bullets coming back. I'd say they're doing 250 FPS usually-- not fast enough to penetrate and wound, but enough to break skin and bruise, and more than enough to put an eye out. They come slow enough where you can see them coming and say "I bet this is gonna hurt", but fast enough that you can't ove out of the way in time! If I'm not up shooting, I'm way back and with my back to the shooting, or, at least, never in a position to give a ricochet a side-angle on me where it could come in behind the glasses.

· Registered
84 Posts
Had to visit this one, was talking to Walter B and jrf about the site.

I must be a real outlaw in the 9mm pin shooting. I use factory 115 grain yellow or white box from whoever has the best price. But they will leave one on the table occasionally.

45 caliber I use an NBC 230 grain FMJ with 8.1 grains of HS-6. Groups okay at 25 yards too...about 2-3".

I have tried 8.8 grains of HS-6 with an NBC 200 grain LSWC. Groups real good at 25 yards but still need to try it on the pins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.