Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I just got done printing out and reading a writing on warrior virtue. I found it on the http://www.bugei.com webpage. This page is for samarai swords and such, not my personal cup of tea, but there is a section with several interviews and writings in it that was very, very good. The article I read was titled, "Virtue of the Sword" by James Williams. I ended up highlighting all eleven pages of it. I have made several copies to send to my closest friends. It is free and I believe it is very much worth your time. I hope that it speaks to your heart as it did to mine. Thanks for your time. Jake Salyards,
- I have no affiliation with this company or website.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, i have read this piece, i have been diggin up writings on the samurai bushido, and the knights code, for quite some time.. It does indeed speak to ones heart, and should be incorporated into a (Mans/Gentlemans) life as much as possible.. These teachings and this way are not for every one as there are many "men" only in the anatomical sense of the word.. -Gilmore

G

·
For an easy read that incoporates several eastern philosophies into western culture fairly seemlessly I can recommned the book "Living the Martial Way" by Forrest Morgan.
I first read this book in early 1992 and I have liked it enough to reread it several times, while it is niether earth shattering nor eye opening, but nonetheless it is a very good book for building and adapting your lifestyle in the "way of the warrior".

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read the martial way several times actually, very good book. If anyone has any other suggestions for books like this I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks, Jake

G

·
Ok,
My favorite writing on the subject is "Hagakure" by Tsunetomo Yamamoto
It means "The book of the Samurai", my version was translated by William Scott Wilson, published by Kodansha International.

I first read it in 1980 and I have read it over again at least several hundred times.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Randall, I am glad you enjoyed it. I had begun to think that no one thought it was any good. I am glad you found it useful.
Jake

G

·
Interesting philospohy/spritualism book.
Here is an example:

All form dissipates like gas
yet infinity will never pass
no beginning and no end
yet all things on it must depend
the sage must first the oneness know
and then knows how all things will grow
no identity, no bills to pay
there is nothing to decay
without judgement, peace to build
in emptiness is all fulfilled

Thought 7 from The Rhyming Tao Te Ching
published 2001
available from Cedargrove, Inc.
as a self-published work
[email protected]
or
POB 332
Granville, MA 01034

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.