Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one pistol that feels like it’s on ball bearings. Why is that? What did they do to it? It’s not just the lube.

I only have one gun like this. My other guns are way cheaper. Are other higher dollar guns super smooth too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one pistol that feels like it’s on ball bearings. Why is that? What did they do to it? It’s not just the lube.

I only have one gun like this. My other guns are way cheaper. Are other higher dollar guns super smooth too?
Higher end 1911's spend quite a bit of time on a smiths bench before going out, unlike most "factory" 1911s. Part of it is a proper heat treat & temper, but it also has to do with a closer, tighter fit (in that a closer fit spreads the bearing load more evenly across the entire length of the rails, rather than just a few points while slide is canted). Gunsmiths, in order to achieve that nicer fit, must use files and stones, so the surface finish is inherently smoother.

Also a phosphate finish is porus, while a black nitride is as smooth as the original substrate. All of these things impact the way the slide 'feels' on a frame.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

We'll see how my stainless CCO turns out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts