Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the use of the rail-mounted Surefire Light system for Glock.? I have a Glock 22 with the older version of the Surefire Light system that bolts onto the trigger guard. I have heard rumors that the rail-mounted system is not as good as the older system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know about Surefire but at Glockmeister you can find the M3 System under "Accessories", here is a breakdown of the information:

M3 Technical Data:
M3 Dimensions: Length; 3.4" Width; 1.57" Height; 1.52"
Weight: 3.3 oz including batteries.
Lamp Type: Tungsten Halogen
Run Time: Minimum 30 minutes continuous
Battery: Lithium Type
Voltage: 6 volts DC
Operating Temperature: -32 C to + 65 C (-26 F to 149 F)

Why The M3?:
This new generation of lighting allows you to aim and illuminate simultaneously as the mounted light is co-axial with the bore.

It is preferable to night vision equipment and lasers in most instances because the new lights are more compact, easier to handle and most importantly, provide significantly clearer identification of the target.

The M3 Tactical Illuminator, which is compatible with the new Glock handguns and other popular brands, lives up to its reputation.

It is unique in its class because of the combination of engineering features it offers.

It weighs only 3.3 oz. making it a third of the weight of some muzzle-heavy models on the market.

It is manufactured by Insight Technologies Incorporated, the foremost supplier of tactical lights and lasers for U.S Special Operations.

Both momentary and steady-on -switches are standard. Made of lightweight polymer materials, it is resistant to chemicals.

A powerful six-volt battery is standard, compared to three volt on some competitor's models.

The focusable beam is adjustable from spot to flood lighting.

It is easy to use in all settings- home, tactical, police and concealed carry - as it operates by fingertip, attaches and detaches in less than 2 seconds and fits in a fanny pack, pocket or glove box.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hedgehog,

I have had pretty extensive experience with SureFire products. When Glock came out with the rail design, SureFire designed a light which attached directly to the pistol, much like the M-3. It was found that the weight of the light prevented the dust cover from flexing and also caused some binding. Several agencies found an increase malfunctions due to this. Not a problem with the light or gun, just a compatibility issue.

As a result, SureFire redsigned a new system. A rail interface mounts to the front of the trigger guard. This allows the light to be installed or removed as needed. The interface places all the stress on the triggerguard and does not interfere with the realiability. It does require a special holster as the shape of the pistol is altered.

I have several units and would not be without them. They do tend to be more than other units, such as the M-3. I initially heard reports that the M-3 also caused some malfunctions but was not able to confirm them. I did not experience any when I tested the M-3.

The main difference is the light output and cost. No L.E. officer who uses the Glock should be without a M-3 on their belt. No tactical team should be without a highpower Surefire light.

IMHO

Hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
373 Posts
My office just purchased 60 of the Surefire trigger-gurad mounted lights for our Glocks. They haven't come in yet, but I got a T&E model from an un-named friend, and I am waiting for the complaints to come in from the troops about using screws (OH NO!) to mount the lights.

I, too, heard from several sources that the frame rail mounted goodies made the Glocks malfunction.

Now that the frame rails are useless, they need to go back to the standard dust cover, no finger grooves, and remove the checkering like my original Model 17...

Rob: Who makes holsters for the G-19 with that Surefire unit? I was told to order some today. Blackhawk maybe?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-09-14 20:24, HeiloMan wrote:
What is wrong with just carrying a plain old Surefire? I've got a 3P and use it with my other hand. There are several techniques that Surefire advocates.
Nothing wrong with it, but in certain LEO instances, you may want to have a free hand for certain "tactical" reasons. (Cuffing, grappling, weapon retention, mag changes, etc.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a frame mount M-6 for my G17. I have never fired the pistol with the thing attached. From what you gent's have described I had better check this out. Is this a common problem or is it unique?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris,
Safariland makes duty and tactical holsters for the G17/22 and 34/35 series with the M3 and Surefire lights, they also make an accessory carrier for the M3 as a seperate item.

I have one of the 6004 SLS with the Surefire Millenium for my G35 and would not be without it.

FWIW, I also have an M3 on my G32 and have never had a single malfunction with the combo mounted and over 3k rounds fired to date.
It may be that the shorter frame does not flex as much, but that G32 runs and runs and runs with such regularity that it is quite boring.
One thing I have noticed is that the light loosens and must be re-attached after about 300rds.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have an M3 for my duty-issued G22 and have fired several hundred rounds through it with the light mounted in tactical team training and experienced not one malfunction. I couldn't be happier with it.
I made myself (and several other local department members) a pouch for it for my duty rig; so I can carry it my belt with the gun in it's issued Safariland 295 holster, and attatch the light when needed. It came in very handy earlier this evening, when searching a department store with a burgalr inside. We found him, with the help of a K9, hiding in the drop-ceiling tiles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have used a old style surefire on my G22 for about 4+ years and have no complaints. I don't like the added complexity of the new style. The old style is a pain in the butt to take off and put on if your gun does double duty, but I fixed that issue. I just bought a second G22. Easy.

Can't beat having that extra hand free for doorknobs, rope, or that errant dumba** who just won't listen to commands. By the way, that light makes a impression at close quarters.

IMHO

Aloha :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
DURING S.W.A.T TRAINING WE EXPERIMENTED WITH THE SUREFIRE AND M3 RAIL MOUNTS. THE WEAPON JAMMED AFTER THE FIRST ROUND EVERYTIME IN THE SHOOT HOUSE WITH THE SUREFIRE. THIS WAS DO TO THE ALUMINUM FRAME OF THE SURE FIRE. THE SUREFIRE WOULD NOT ALLOW THE FRAME TO FLEX DURING THE FIRING SEQUENCE. THE M3 PERMITTED THE WEAPON TO FUNCTION FLAWLESSLY

·
Registered
13 Posts
... and any multitude of weapons that have Weaver mounts. For a few bucks you can stick the M3 on your AR, your 870, etc.

Too bad Surefire dropped the ball on this. Their lights are superior, just not the ones that mount (or don't mount) on Glocks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also use the G22 with the M3 light attached, carried in a Safariland 6280 everyday. The gun has functioned flawlessly with the light attached. Glock advised agencies a year or so ago that the G22 w/M3 could have problems with 180 grain rounds. It seems that slide speed actualy increase a bit causing failure to feed. I have already replaced all of my mags springs w/Wolf +10% and have not had a problem. Glock now offers a 11 coil mag spring for the G22. Stay Safe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.