Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to have a hi-capacity double stack pistol built for steel shooting, and I wanted to find out what some of the gunsmiths thought would be a better frame - STI or SVI? Or will it make a difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Both frames are of exceptional quality in every way, you can't go wrong with either one.

One minor advantage to the SV is the ITS trigger system. It allows for very quick and easy changing of the trigger face. This is nice feature when you are tuning the gun to fit your anatomy "feel" preferences. BTW, the ITS is compatible with the STI frames.

The most important factor will be who puts the gun together for you. I would reccomend that you find a pistolsmith who specializes in building steel guns. George Smith at EGW and John Nowlin would be on my short list.

HTH

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-08-08 18:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
239 Posts
The single stack gun is preferable to a hi-cap for an all out steel gun because of the potential for lower weight (perhaps a tossup with the STI/SVI polymer frame) and more importantly, mag function. The mags on the hi-cap guns have had a tendency to feed a little slow due to the large, heavy column of rounds they must push up during each cycle. The lightened slides that make fast steel guns cycle extra fast. The combo of extra fast slide and extra slow mag feeding makes for a lousy marriage. I know this well, as I tried using a super lightened slide on a Para .38 Super to shoot IPSC major.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A single stack frame weighs more than a STi/SV frame. You can build a lighter gun with a STI/SV frame than a single stack. The magazines can be tuned to feed just fine. For steel I would not load them to full capacity, maybe 10-12 rounds. The gun I am using for steel and IPSC is based on an STI frame and weighs under 40 ozs. This is with a big magwell, comp, and C-More. It is 100% reliable and extremely fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.