Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every day I keep running across equipment and guns that are marketed as tactical. It seems as though every new gadget on the market has "tactical" somewhere in its name and I'm just sick and tired of it. Someone puts rubber grips on a gun and now it's tactical. A light mount is attached to a weapon and suddenly it's tactical. Some guy attaches a surefire to his bolt action rifle and it's a tactical rifle. Then there is the SEAL link. A SEAL buys a piece of equipment and sends in a thank you letter and all of a sudden it's "Used by Navy SEALS" On the net numerous people will ask questions about the SEALS toys and will repeat any rumor as gospel as long as it's associated with a SEAL somewhere. I'm tired of reading posts where someone starts off with "Well the SEALS use it so it must be good". It's as though manufacturers think that as long as they attach the term tactical to any piece of equipment we, the public will feel duty bound to buy it because all of a sudden we'll become a super commando of some kind. Do they really believe we're so stupid? Sorry about the rant, I must have looked through one gunrag too many today.

G

·
Agreed and laughing out loud.
How come we never hear about the "real" SEAL gear like ponchos, rafts, rebreathers, wet suits and waterproof bags......

I personally have been waiting by the phone with credit card in hand for the newest "tactical" titanium, Black poly this, checkered stealth, carbon fiber, liner locking toothbrush to be featured with a (coil loop telephone cord) lanyard.

I fully expect said Special
Ops piece to be featured along with a Hawkings 1877 musket loader that some money hungry gunsmith mounted a 6 volt light and quick detach sling onto as the latest cover gun on the August issue of "American Consumer" handgunning magazine.

I expect the author who narrates childrens books by day and worked for 15 minutes on the 8th day of the summer solstace as a deputy reserve, part time, volunteer police officer for the auxillary volunteer fire police, contracted security agency department as the units sole and only "firearms" instructor who actually arrested one person for driving on the fire hose before he was exhiled to acting as the local movie critique for the ladies auxillary.

To appear with his face blocked out with a black bar (for super security reasons, known only to him and the gun magazine editor, writing as "Howdy Duty") in OD Nomex while sporting a safariland Tac Armor Vest to provide both humourus and whimsical narrative as to how the musket loader is now the latest in tactical single shot weaponry and he had to improve it with a trituim dotted 50mm scope/sight, how the now perfectly round without a radius on it belt/bench ground rifle seriously feels like a "bar of soap", but they foolishly included ambi safeties as only sissie fall, get injured or get hurt or need to fire a weapon with the off (weak) hand, heavens no the immortal spec ops warriors never get injured....

We should see pictures of said writer also firing the rifle next to a picture with one bullet hole measuring .34" even though the slug is .65" at the lowly distance of 1,900 yards in his best camp perry garb.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL David. Don't forget also the frequently seen "according..... who is an operator with SEAL TEAM 6" I think some of these guys have read too many stories. Besides you couldn't sell advertising space if you showed a pic of a guy with a LCE that's loaded down with four SAW pouches, two one quarts a buttpack, K-bar cause he can't afford a more expensive knife because he has to feed his family and it's better than the POS M9 he can take out of the arms room. Let's show him loaded down with a real world ruck and list the contents. How the majority is ammo, batteries, extra demo and water and he's got three pairs of socks, a t-shirt and a poncho liner for the next two weeks at a minimum because he knows that it's better to travel light and freeze at night. Besides, the damn thing already weighs in at a hundred pounds. Oh yeah, lets not forget the hide materials and more batteries because without commo you're really in a world of hurt. The look on the poor SOB's face after that first klick when he looks at the ten year old map he has and sees the terrain becase the photos couldn't get through the foliage.

Nope, that's not a cool pic for the rag of the month. Instead lets show some fiercely scowling ninja with the latest and greatest blades sticking out of every freaking pocket in his crisply starched Nomex. LOL.

Hey, you know there are many cool toys there. I'm just tired of all the BS and really tired of listening to gunshop commandos.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's a shame, but you know what, these ad's lure people into their silly little idiocy.

When Vector was importing the CP1, there was a magazine article that called it a "space age gun" (well, duh, this IS the space age, every gun is a space age gun...)
Had people come into the store asking "do you have that new space age gun?"
I didn't wanna get any, since I considered them a POS, and figured we'd never sell any, but the owner got some in, and we sold both. Then special ordered another for his buddy (whom I told not to buy it)

Then they ran an ad in magazine's "warning, it has come to our attention that the CP-1 has a problem, and can go off it it is dropped or looked at funny. We don't have a fix, so don't send it to us, but f we ever figure it out, we'll send you a letter, 'kay?"
(well, that's paraphrased :smile:

Now they've finally decided to set up a way to buy back all those guns sold.
The only gun buy-back program I endorse :smile:

Oh, and people still come in refering to the G34/35 as the "practical tactical" whatever the f*** that means.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Damn, you boys need some sensitivity training. :smile: Speaking of use of the word 'tactical', looked thru the latest Wilson catalog lately? Unbelievable. Pukin' by page 10! BTW dd, no one ever told me that a rebreather was 'tactical'. Always thought it was just another way for 'em to keep your ass in the water... :roll: Take care, guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dpcdivr on 2001-07-03 01:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
Don't you guys know? Any SEAL that is quoted in a gun mag is ALWAYS from SEAL Team Six!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
David, What exactly does Camp Perry garb consist of? When I compete there, I wear pretty much my normal clothing. What about you? Interestingly, I have never run into anyone at Perry extolling the virtues of the latest tactical doo dad, or refering to anything as being tactical at all for that matter. I relaize your post is a satire, but to some, Camp Perry is not a joking matter just as "Expensive cars, watches, history, custom guns, knives, rifles" are probably not joking matters to others. Forrest Bowers

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am active duty navy, I am a Russian linguist and I have done 3 years at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, where most of the military language training takes place. We get a fair amount of SEALS coming through there. I am not a SEAL or anything close, but I did speak with them on several occasions. Here is the deal as it was explained to me. Everymonth boxes and boxes of shit show up from manufacterers who want the SEALS to demo it for possible sales. The SEALS loot through all the boxes and take whatever boots or sunglasses or ropes or whatever they want. They get free stuff, if it sucks they throw it away or sell it. The manufacterers get to put "As used by US Navy SEALS" on their products. I had a tactical shotgun all fixed up how I thought it was supposed to be and was telling one of them about it, thinking the guy was going to tell me how cool it was. It was an 11-87P with a flashlight and side-saddle. His comment was, "Take all that shit off it to start. Better yet, get an 870." So much for impressing him, I did take his advice though. Anyway, I would agree that the "tactical" label is way over used. You really can't blame the companies for using it though. They are in business to sell stuff. There are more idiots out there than knowledgeable folks, if you advertise to idiots you will sell more stuff. Knowledgeable folks seem to buy based upon actually seeing something work anyway, as oppossed to seeing a nifty ad. At least I think that is how it is supposed to work. I have to go now, I'm moly coating my nose hair clippers in the oven in a purple and yellow tiger stripe pattern and I need the finish to come out just right this time for a secret deployment I am going on....

Jake

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
On 2001-07-02 18:41, Just a GI wrote:
Do they really believe we're so stupid?
Yes :grin: And if you look at the ones who use the connection the most in their advertising I would suspect most of the gun (or insert, leather, watch, clothing, web gear) buying public IS!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If we weren't that stupid it would never work and nobody would use it as a gimmick.

By the way Dane, when exactly am I getting my BCP SEAL Stealth Tactical Combat Master SOCOM Double-Blackened Delta Elite back? :grin:

·
Registered
274 Posts
What, I have been duped? Do you mean that Tactical SUV with the SEAL Team Bass Boat is a bunch of you know what!!! I can not believe it. They even had black tires on them.

G

·
On 2001-07-03 13:04, FBowers wrote:
David, What exactly does Camp Perry garb consist of? When I compete there, I wear pretty much my normal clothing. What about you? Interestingly, I have never run into anyone at Perry extolling the virtues of the latest tactical doo dad, or refering to anything as being tactical at all for that matter. I relaize your post is a satire, but to some, Camp Perry is not a joking matter just as "Expensive cars, watches, history, custom guns, knives, rifles" are probably not joking matters to others. Forrest Bowers
Not a shot at Perry or the competitors by any means, I am referring in humor to an article with the writer wearing his "camp perry" shooting jacket with elbow cinch on to test the "true accuracy" potential of a Savage 110fp (his words, not mine).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.