Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor wanted to get a carry permit. So I took him to the local range he rented which ever gun looked good. Finaly he settled on a 220. I got to shoot the gun also. I liked it,I mean I really liked it. Trigger transition and all. Do you get the drift that I do not ordinarly shoot double action autots? So, I solved the problem by telling myself that the alloy frame was a weakness. Now I am aware of a SS 220 in .45 and the questions resurface. Is the new model as good as the fromer? Different? Is a .38Super to be built and is it capable to be converted to 9mmx23? Please responed'cause I got the twitches. Calthrop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From threads on other boards, the P220ST is/was due out later this month to dealer's. There was a report that it is being delayed to fine-tune the design when it did not reach the benchmark round-count goals they had for it during factory testing.

My personal wish is that they would offer it in .38 Super so it could be converted to 9 x 23, my gut feeling is that they would not. SIG takes a long time to put new designs out on the market, that's what makes me think they wouldn't offer the 220ST in other chamberings besides .45. Their next move would probably be to introduce the P226ST instead.

While I'm wishing, it would be nice if they would offer it in 10mm also! :grin:

It should be very much the same as the standard 220, obviously having a stainless frame and slide as opposed to carbon and aluminum. The P220 Sport model got some extended controls and extra factory attention to fitting and trigger smoothing, I have read a few posts lauding that model for shootability. I believe that is where the frame is coming from, a 220Sport frame without the compensator.

HTH. -Jacques

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So. Thankyou man. It is said that information dose not change behavior and I still have the twitchies. I can wait them to get it right. .45acp is good and 10mm would be very good. It is a shame Sig is conservetive about change. Ambidexterious controls would be nice. Calthrop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: calthrop on 2001-07-14 15:17 ]</font>

·
Registered
514 Posts
Funny. If it had first come out as a steel frame, folks would have been screaming for a lightweight alloy frame?

Do what I do; buy two of anything and everything. One to shoot, one to carry, replace/rotate as necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, the P220ST is finally here.

It is a delightful weapon. Pitty that it is banned here in the UK. Damn bleeding heart anti-gunners...

Sorry for waxing philosophical.

Wm.

G

·
The St has been starting to hit distributors shelves this month, they are beginning to make it out for sale in low numbers right now.

FYI, Browning did offer an imported P220 European model in 10mm less than 100 units were sold in 1989.

The P220 in .38 Super was discontinued in 1992 and reintroduced for distribution with the American style mag release until 1994.

Rumour has it that mid 2002 Sig will offer a SS P226 in 9mm and .40 S&W as well for the LE market and only the LE market.
The 226 Sport will also be released in .40 S&W.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Sig 220SS, the next pistol I will buy, actualy I have one on order with the local Police supply store, best price I've found($729.00+ Taxes)for one with night sights and 3 eight round magazines. When they first started talking about the SS 220 I figured would be awkward, the only difference between it and the regular 220 is maybe 4-5 ounces. I shot approximately 25 rounds through one and it shot beutifully. Now I just have to wait on my ordered one to come in....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just handled one at a local shop. It is very heavy. The slide stop, and decocker seem to be of a lighter gauge sheet steel than the predecessor. They look almost flimsy, but that could be due to the massive slide. The recoil spring is way too heavy, probably at 22lbs. The trigger pull is very light in both double and single action. The single action has twice the creep of the predecessor. Slide to frame fit and barrel to slide fit are superb. The front strap is checkered at 40lpi.

What I don't get is why they retained the two piece frame?

Also, I cant tell whether the frame was cast or forged.

Overall, a very nice pistol, but not for $899 here in So. Cal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
YUP!

It felt like 22lbs, but I'm going by the feel of the 19lb spring in my 226. I don't understand why they would do that? The standard recoil spring in a 1911 is 16lbs, and the SIG slide is way more massive.

I wish the guy would have let me take it apart, so that I could have gotten a better look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.