Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Tauri revolvers improved in quality? I've been looking at their revolvers and they seem like nice guns. I'm just a little leary because I had purchased a Tuarus once before (10+ years ago) thinking it was a good deal and was sadly disappointed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Perhaps in this case, the lack of response says volumes!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. Have two - a SS 608 and a 94 (.22LR). Bought the 608 first. Great gun! Excellent fit and finish, good accuracy, nice smooth trigger. Basically I have no complaint.

Based on this purchase, decided to get the 94 for my wife as a plinking gun. Big mistake! Fit and finish is so-so but livable, but the trigger is just plain lousy. DA is very gritty, and feels like a "forever" pull weight. Single action is obviolusly lighter, but still has excessive creep. Hammer spur is too short and sharply angled for my wife to use it well for cocking the gun. I built it up with some tape, but the action is still so stiff that she still wound up with a blister trying to cock it. Finally just stopped using this gun altogether.

So, a mixed bag. Would have defintely recommended a Taurus based on my first experience, but this little .22 sure soured me. I know, I can send it back to Taurus to look at and probably will some day, but can't believe it made it out of the factory with as bad an action as it has.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Tracker 41Mag Titanium. I am very pleased. It has a nice trigger and nice fit and finish.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many rounds have you put through that 41 mag tracker? How long have you had it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought a Taurus 94B2UL (.22 "Ultralight" snubby) at the end of last year.

Overall, I like it. The quality seems quite reasonable for the price (about $250) and I haven't found any serious defects yet.

The barrel/cylinder gap is tight enough to cause binding after about 50 rounds, but since I don't mind pausing to wipe the fouling away, that's OK. I can't envision a do-or-die scenario in which I'd be firing more than a single cylinder from this Taurus and it isn't really a defensive weapon for me anyway.

I next revolver I buy will probably be a Taurus too. If they'd put 3" unported barrels on some of their snubbies I might buy two Taurus revolvers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt VDW on 2002-02-08 12:17 ]</font>

·
Registered
285 Posts
An update:

I shot my 94UL again today and discovered that either I was having a really bad day or this little .22 has some accuracy problems. My attempts at deliberate, single action shooting didn't result in much better groups than my previous quick-and-dirty blasting sessions.

Also, the trigger action is rougher than I remembered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lester,

I've had it about 8 months and have 250 rounds through it. The trigger was a little rough and heavy at the beginning but after about 50 rounds it smoothed up very nicely. At 28 ozs. it could be a real handful but the ribber grip and porting really tames it. I shot a 357 snubbie that felt alot worse.

Terry

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was told today to expect a Taurus in 45 acp sometime this year. Depending on how the trigger feels when they do arrive, this might be my next gun. :smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
That ought to be interesting. 45 long colt might even be better in the Tracker series. What format and frame size are they planning for the ACP. I assume you are referring to a revolver as they already have a semi in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told, 5-shot Tracker style revolver in 45 acp and 45 lc. The barrel lengths will be 5 and 7 inches. I'm just concerned now about the availability of 5 shot full moon clips...hope Taurus makes a ton of'em.

·
Registered
687 Posts
As to their autos, I'd say they have some fair designs that are fairly executed, although I've seen them also run to the poorly/poorly side. I'm pretty familiar now with the PT111 and it is very reliable, but the ergos are about fair, not close to excellent, manufacturing quality is somewhere below fair (sharp edges, things grinding each other away), and the basic design is complex and doesn't appear very durable. The sights were terrible in terms of durability-- molded plastic held on by tiny screws, totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have had 4 Taurus guns..the last were a 605 snubbie and a PT940, alloy s/auto....
I sold the PT only to realize my mistake and find another ASAP. It was one of the two most dependable and nice guns I have ever owned. Shoot well

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Taurus PT-911 semi-auto 9mm. I have had it two years and have had no problems. Easy tear down, good trigger pull, and well made. I have probably run about 5k rounds through it. The only thing that has happened is that the paint in the rear sight dots fell out while out on the range. A toothpick and some model paint fixed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a PT111 for about 6 months, the slide disassembley latch broke. Got it back from Taurus after 6 weeks. That was a long time to replace a part in my opinion. Worse was still to come. On inspection they had trashed the rear site, the left side was squashed beyond belief. Called them on Monday and they are sending me a new rear site so I can replace it myself.
The gun itself is very nice but the service leaves a lot to be desired. Only other experinece I had with returning a handgun for repair was to Beretta, I had it back within 3 days, this was a bigger job as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have a Taurus Model 94 Bright Stainless with a five inch barrel. It worked OK initially, but I agree with the other post; the trigger pull is ultra lousy. I was hoping, to no avail, that the trigger would smooth with time. Also as an aside, the contour of the trigger is very sharp, and was just plain annoying after awhile. After about putting 500 rounds through the weapon, it began to bind heavily in DA shooting. I cleaned it, and it continued to bind. I sent it back to Taurus. Got it back 1 month later. It still binds. Moral of the story, next time I want a .22 revolver I will get a Ruger SP 101 or a Smith 617. I have shot those and picked the Taurus just because of the price and the recommendation of the store owner from where I purchased it. I also owned a Taurus PT 101 in .40 S&W, and I sold it because it was less than I expected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Taurus quality

Jester said:
Have Tauri revolvers improved in quality? I've been looking at their revolvers and they seem like nice guns. I'm just a little leary because I had purchased a Tuarus once before (10+ years ago) thinking it was a good deal and was sadly disappointed.
I have a model 608 in 357 mag. It binds up after about 75-100 rounds
The cylinder wont turn. The same thing happens on my Tracker 22 mag.
I also have the 22 hornet. I have to use a plastic mallet on the ejector
rod to get the cases out of the cylinder. I also have the raging 44 mag.
I havent had any problems with it. On the 44 I havent shot more than
50 rounds in any one sitting. The guns seem to be ok after I clean them.
I believe the barrel cylinder gap is too tight, which was mentioned on a
earlier post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From my friends' experiences w/Taurus, they either are tolerably good pistols and revolvers...or they spend their lives in transit to & from the factory.

This includes the Raging Bull series. I know of one that is accurate and dependable (so far) but I have seen three that were inaccurate and on one of those, something securing the crane failed, and the cylinder fell out! Also MANY light strikes unless an unweildy +power hammer spring is installed.

I'd only buy it if I could try it first...for about a month and 1,000+ rounds.

For me, Glock and Ruger fill the bills!

Regards,

FastVFR

·
Registered
50 Posts
Taurus quality

I took my model 608 357mag back to the range after I cleaned it to see
If the cylinder would bind. I am happy to say that I shot 2 boxes of 357
blazers without a hitch. Everything was smooth and accuracy was very
good. Shot under 1" on most groups with a 2x burris scope at 25 yards.
This gun seems to like those blazers. :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts