Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I bought a 2001 Loaded model. specifically, model number px9109L.

Shot 150rds through it today. 50 rds WW white boh 230 gr JHP and 100 rds Atlanta Arms 230 gr Ball. At rd 121 experienced first malfunction, slide did not go fully into battery on the first round. Magazine used was a Mec-gar 8rder. Solved by nudging slide slightly forward. Second malfunction occurred at rd 132. Fourth round out of a Wilson 47D magazine did the same thing. Solution was the same. Third malfuncion at round 136, first round out of a Wilson 47C mag. Same solution as previously described.

Total number of mags used was eight. Two Wilson mags, 1 8rd mec-gar, one 7rd SS pachmayr, 2 Springfield factory mags and 2 no name mags with Wilson springs and followers.

No malfunctions were experienced with the WW JHP's using all these mags. Only malfunctions occurred with Atlanta Arms ball ammmo and previously described magazines.

Further testing will continue with other ammunition and same magazines. Recoil spring will be changed to 18.5lb, possibly greater. Most likely will pull the two piece guide rod out and replace it with standard GI plug and rod

My intent is to find the perfect magazine and ammo selection. So far I've been really impressed with the Pachmayr magazines and not so impressed with the vaunted Wilson brand.

Question: Why do you guys think I had those malfunctions?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Lube ran out...mixed with heat and powder doo-doo to taint an otherwise excellent first outing. Try some kind of lube cleaner at rd.100 to blast it out and add good lube before continuing and at rd 100 'til you hit 1000, if it continues in between or after rd 1000...then...it's off to the big house for "corrections"...LOL
Not bad for a first try! Continue!

BTW...I would guess that it likes the harder recoil of the JHP so I don't think I would increase the recoil spring weight as it might further cause difficulty with the weaker ball ammo...Or is that thinking backwards...Maybe fix one thing at a time is the best way to put it...or only change one parameter at a time 'til you can either duplicate the problem at will or resolve it...Whatcha' think?

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-17 16:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would not start changing springs, guide rods or anything else until your gun is reliable in it's current configuration.

You need to have a reliable pistol to begin with before making changes. Otherwise, you will not know what is causing the malfunctions!

I think that the best way to start breaking-in and determining the reliability of your gun is by using quality 230 grain ball ammo from a major manufacturer - (American Eagle, Speer Lawman or Winchester White Box)

After 200 rounds go thru the gun with no malfunctions, you can then try your defense ammo.

When I have done this, I have used only one style of magazine, (Wilson #47, 7 round) to eliminate magazine incompatabilities.

I see more problems encountered with the 8 round magazines from any manufacturer than with the 7 rounders.

I believe that the first place you should look is at the ammo. You had all of your failures with Atlanta Arms ammo (reloaded?) This should tell you something!

Please let us know what happens on your next range trip. Good luck with your new Springfield!

-Mk.IV

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark IV Series 80 on 2001-06-17 17:30 ]</font>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RMLamey and MKIV, you may be right, and that's the way I lean as well. Atlanta Arms is a commercial manufacturer of reloaded ammo and is very dirty. Next type of hardball I put through it will be Winchester more likely than not.

I'm still going to continue testing mags at the same time since I'm poor (I don't reload and like to shoot) so I'm going to try and do two things at once.

That two piece guide rod is going to have to go soon. I know many here like full length guide rods, and so do I, just not in a 1911.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :smile: Y'all have a happy father's day now. :grin:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I run 18.5lb springs on all of my .45's. the extra ump may be enough to get those reloads into battery. A tight chamber could be the cause, or the extractor could need to be tuned and set. Give the gun about 500 rounds of ball and then decide

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2001-06-17 20:10, jm10mm wrote:
A tight chamber could be the cause, or the extractor could need to be tuned and set. Give the gun about 500 rounds of ball and then decide
Orrrr... It could just be LOUSY quality RELOADS!

Come On! A New Gun has FTF's on Remanufactured Ammo... You guys are getting a bit picky, IMHO. Of course, if they were personally manufactured reloads, that I personally supervised the quality of, and knew, without a doubt that there was no variance from round to round, I might have second thoughts, but 'Fred & Ethyl's Quality Reman Ammo' is not my idea of a valid test.

That said... Yes, the chamber may be tight... Maybe the Atlanta Arms ammo runs perfect in a Glock with a loose chamber...

I don't know... I really don't. I would probably guarantee though that Springfield has a disclaimer in their little owners manual that says NOT to use Reloads... I can't imagine that it could be because the QA of some reloads might be non-existent, and cause reliablity problems, but you just never know...

Give the gun an opportunity to break in properly, and feed it good ammo... I just don't understand anyone who would buy a $700 gun, and try to save a couple bucks on ammo, or stick it in a $10 holster.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jaydee,

1. Yes Atlanta Arms isn't the best ammo on the market, but I like to test my guns with all possible combinations so I can find out what it likes since you never know what kind of ammo may be available when you really need it. That's why it's a TEST.

2. Until Uncle Sam increases my allowance I will not be able to buy truck loads of my favorite ammo at once.

3. Please rest assured that the holster/s I get for it will cost more than $10.00. I like quality leather even though none of my hosters are $300 dollar exotics from Sparks and others.

4. Please contact your Congressman and have him/her introduce a new bill to increase the pay of enlisted personnel in the military so that we can all afford to buy massive amounts of quality ammo so that we can test our guns out with only the best ammunition on the market.

5. Have a nice Father's day and a good night.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey GI...

Nothing directed at you personally... Just a comment in general...

I have seen so moany posts over time where people complain about reliabilty, or holsters when they get themselves a "One Size" fits all Nylon and wonder why the gun doesn't carry or conceal well.

On 2001-06-17 22:07, Just a GI wrote:
Jaydee,

1. Yes Atlanta Arms isn't the best ammo on the market, but I like to test my guns with all possible combinations so I can find out what it likes since you never know what kind of ammo may be available when you really need it. That's why it's a TEST.
Granted... Okay... Check out Eric at the Ammoman... $109 should get you 500 rounds of decent factory ammo, delivered... I think you can find $100 floating around... Most of the reman stuff probably costs about $9/box 50, so yeah, it's $2 more per box, but worth every penny.

2. Until Uncle Sam increases my allowance I will not be able to buy truck loads of my favorite ammo at once.
Many can't as it is, but I have found that reloading my own hasn't dropped my costs, it has me shooting more often, and increased my typical round count. I still spend about the same money.
3. Please rest assured that the holster/s I get for it will cost more than $10.00. I like quality leather even though none of my hosters are $300 dollar exotics from Sparks and others.
Well... I don't have the bitching cool leather rig, but I do have a couple that run into the 3 digit range. Kydex is a cheap alternative... As long as you don't get one of those 'One Size' fits all Nylon rigs, with the little hammer strap deals, you're doing better than many out there. You can settle with a $20 Fobus, or spend less than $50 for a good holster, or more... Whichever...
4. Please contact your Congressman and have him/her introduce a new bill to increase the pay of enlisted personnel in the military so that we can all afford to buy massive amounts of quality ammo so that we can test our guns out with only the best ammunition on the market.
I have remained very active in voicing my opinions to my reps at all levels, and often push for Military Benefits, and those for Veterans, having served for 8 years through 1989. I continue to have a direct interest today, my youngest daughter is a Navy Spouse, her husband is an E4. They aren't doing too bad... Certainly, there have been a couple adjustments in the last year or so... FWIW, an E6 is making MUCH more today that they were 10 years ago...

5. Have a nice Father's day and a good night.
Thanks... You also, if it applies... I spent the day watching all sorts of racing... NASCAR, IRL, Champ Cars, Trans Am, SCCA Touring cars, and Sports Car / Grand American. Simply a wonderful day for a gasoline junkie...

Again... It wasn't meant directly, just a generalization... Haven't read the Springfield manual lately, but the last one I read (Kahr), they recommended 200 rounds, and use of Factory stuff, before making any judgements, or implementing it for whatever purposes.

To be honest, I have run Wolf ammo through a couple of my guns, especially for times when I don't want to police my brass. I clean very well after, and surprisingly, I haven't had any problems, though it can be tough on extractors with that steel case, I just have noticed it... It went bang every time, and never had a problem chambering. At $80/500, it's probably less expensive than any reman stuff.

Anyway... While I would be unhappy with 3 FTF's in 100-150 rounds, I think I would give it at least 500 to 'settle in' before I rushed to judgement, questioned or proclaimed anything wrong the hardware.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ahh...here it is...I answered this over there again...You might find that MORE than a few of us are always concerned about the plight of US Service Personnel. I'd love it if lots of wasted monies were directed to you...I also think lots of us are in the same boat and the info you get around here(and there)is free and that's what it's worth. It's also info that you might consider as coming from some that just want the thing to work for you.
Try takin' the stuff in the spirit it's given(freely) and puttin' it to use. That's free and MAY be just what YOU asked for in the first place.
Good luck with your pistol...I don't think you want it to work much more than most of us...I think we'd all love it if all you had to do was plunk down 600. bucks and live happily ever after...:wink:

·
Registered
548 Posts
A raise for us grunts? That would be great. I bet I will turn a nice shade of AF blue holding my breath waiting for it. I am glad my wife is a RN who makes the big bucks to support my habit.

For those who have asked, Uncle Sam buys me bullets and primers. Beyond that, it is on me. The Army Team members on the other hand... I knew I should have joined the Army.

GI, think about the AMU. You won’t get promoted, but man you can do some shooting. If you need to get in touch with the AMU guys, contact me offline. Max and Adam are great guys.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a new Springfield full size Loaded model, and I've fired almost 400 rounds of G.I. WWII surplus ball ammo in it without a single malfunction. Mags were the ones that came with the gun, lube was Break Free CLP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2001-06-18 13:07, Clay wrote:
I have a new Springfield full size Loaded model, and I've fired almost 400 rounds of G.I. WWII surplus ball ammo in it without a single malfunction. Mags were the ones that came with the gun, lube was Break Free CLP.
Yup, I got a couple cans of the GI Surplus stuff... All 742 rounds in the first can went boom, a little dirty, but still decent, and accuracy was okay, although nothing to write home about.

I left the other can sealed for the SHTF scenario, but may crack it open... Hard to beat the price, and I ended up with some nice brass to reload with, although there was some corrossion, it cleaned up nicely.

I was gonna mention the AMU, Tom, just gets those Army guys to order a few pallets of ammo for you, maybe you could swap a few primers :grin:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ordered a SA fullsize # PX9608L.Basically just like yours only blued and no night sites.Any way try to get some PMC-FMJ 45acp ammo next time.It is cheaper than the high grade and more expensive and better quality than reloads,it is sold in alot of gunshops also.It has not caused any problems in my Glock,of course a 1911 is a horse of another color!It is stupid to thank that an every day working man can afford the very best ammo all the time and get a full day in at the range.I am going to keep up with your findings!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.