Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of cheese do they put in this stuff?!?!? I know the white stuff is supposedly teflon or something, but I'd swear it's Bleu, Lindenburg, or some other "stinky-feet" cheese... Is there a reason for this stuff smelling so badly, or do I have a bad bottle?

·
Registered
705 Posts
It does smell! I understand, but have not seen it for myself, they have done something with new production to help with the smell. I still have a good supply of the product and have not ordered any new.

Does anyone know for a fact they have done something about the odor?

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I'm thinking the smell could actually AID in concealment... You know, the gun won't smell like oranges or some petroleum product or solvent, which could be a give-away, instead it smells like you haven't showered in the last 25 years and died 5 years ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The stinky stuff is the old formulation. You owe it to yourself to try the new formulation, which smells sorta like Wilson's ultima lube.

I liked the performance of the old stuff but the smell was awful. It's probably been at least a year since the new stuff came out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This is a "FWIW".........The 'old" Tetra grease I have does stink to the point you {I} never get used to it. The grease labeled "New" on the tube is not that offensive {@ least to my nostrils}. The "new" oil seems even more putrid {my nostrils} than than either the "old" grease or oil. With any of the above my Cats still
P!$$ on my guns 1st chance they get if they're left out!

http://www.tetraproducts.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got the "NEW" stuff, and except for the copper cleaner I'd never really noticed the smell of the products. After reading these posts I went to the garage and gave the oil and grease a snif, and while their not roses it's really not too bad. After all It doesn't take much.

I've heard of folks using all kinds of lubricants, motor oil, etc. so I think I'll try something different.

I'm going to try peanut oil and Crisco Shortening as my lubes of choice for a while. If I need something with a little more sticky/pasty texture I'll mix in a little Gold Medal All-Purpose flour. I figure I'll be the most popular guy at the range 'cause by the 200th round or so the range will start smelling like mom's fried chicken!

Pass the ammo and the biscuits please?

Webb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.