Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say I am sad to see that Texas Ammunition has foregone the excellent XTP and Gold Dot bullets for the Sierras in their new 10mm loadings. Maybe we can excite a change through some emails.

(An 135gr Sierra is not my idea of a 10mm, though I may be at odds with some of you in that.)

G

·
If this is correct I can understand why.
Economics, as the Sierra bullet is "junk" and the XTP and GD are more expensive changing to a less expensive bullet allows for increased profit.

This is very sad indeed but I believe it is inevitable and an indicator as a sign of the times.

It was Corbon to be among the first of the "Semi-Custom" makers to allow the desire for higher quarterly earnings to outweigh the needs of the consumer.

Unfortunately, it is realitvely easy to see that performance with the sierra loaded by Texa Ammunition will be equally as poor as the Corbon loads as basic performace factors like velocites and energy cannot change very much among these makers.

I concur, a 135gr Sierra 10mm bullet is definitely not my idea of a personal defense load for two legged predators.

Where is Agent Fox Mulder as this could be a possible cosnpiracy to force the consumer to use more ammo in a shootout as anyone carrying these rounds will now need all 10 versus 2 or 3 good rounds, maybe it is an alien conspiracy to decrease the population of good people and allow all of the criminals to live/multiply and run rampant.

Editorial comment:
I am kidding about the conspiracy, but I am not kidding when I say the load "stinks".
Before I recieve a slew of email from the light/fast crowd, please keep them.
You can carry your bullets and I will be more than happy to keep mine, you don't need my approval.

As always please test your equipment personally before you actually carry it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told they evaluated the GD and XTP in 10mm and they felt the Sierra gave more consistent performance (weights in 135grs and 165grs are the only to be available). Maybe so, I have never heard of a Sierra failing to fragment within the first 1.5 inches....

On the up side, XTPs are still the bullet they use in their .45 Super and other loadings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I would reply to this topic because we (Texas Ammunition Company) had a number of customers express this same sentiment. We re-evaluated the 165 Grain bullets, putting them through a more rigorous testing. As a result we are now loading our 10mm with the 165 Gold Dot bullet. The 135 is a Nosler bullet and the 200 grain (JHP & FMJ) are Hornady Bullets. Thanks for all the input from our customers.

G

·
Karl,
That is very good news indeed and it is reassuring to see a company that values the input and concerns of it's customers.

So, when will the first lot's be available?

·
Registered
3 Posts
To clarify and update everyone on our 10mm loads. Yes, you did read right about the 200 XTP JHP. IT IS NOW IN STOCK. Our current offerings:
135 Grain JHP (Nosler) (1450 fps)
165 Grain JHP (Gold Dot) (1350 fps)
200 Grain JHP (Hornady XTP) (1250 fps)
230 Grain FMJ-FP (Hornady) (1250 fps)
We still have a little of the Sierra 165 in stock, but as I said, we will now start to use the Gold Dot. Unless customer specifies otherwise, we will ship the Sierra loads until they are gone. The Gold Dots should be here in 1 to 2 weeks and we will be loading them immediately. If you would like, I will post again when they are on the shelf

By the Way: I certainly appreciate the respect, but you don't have to address me as "Mr. Vancil" -- I like to get to know people on a first name basis, so "Karl" is just fine with me.
Thanks again for everyone's interest and input.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Goody goody gumdrops!

Hot Damn! I need to get some of the 165 grain for my Razorback! This should make for one great rump-stomping load! 8)

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.