Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lucky enough to get to read a lot. I also spend a bunch of time alone in my shop with time to ponder where I am and why.

I think it pays us all to remember why are able to have the guns we do and enjoy the pursuits we value.

My ability to make a living and enjoy my life as I do comes from some very brave men and I suspect their wives too, who made a decision about their personal committments 225 years ago.

When each of them pledged "our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor" it was not a light committment.

It was the same committment that young men have made throughout our history, from Bunker Hill to Masadonia today. Some may not have realised the extent of their promise today but I would bet that the few, in 1776, did.

Think about that promise, "we pledge our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor" and reflect back on what it has bought all of us today.

Have a GREAT 4th.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-03 22:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes, alot of them did lose their fortunes, lives, sons, and property and died in poverty.

I tend to stay close to the house on the big holidays to read and reflect on what other have gave in hardship, blood, putting the begining of this country above there personal lives.

I'm a veteran, navy, and only spent time off of Vietnam a few months in the auxiary machinery space/engine room and two hours in country waiting to refuel. That is NOTHING compared to those who served in combat. Using landing nets off of Australia and thinking of those landing at Normandy and the HOT reception they got. I have no personal referance to the sacrifices that others have made. My pastor was at Chosin Resevore in Korea, what a cold, freezing, battel, being surrounded. The book's always have made me think, could I have done it! The only answer for me is with my God's help

We have it easy! How fast our freedoms that they fought for are slowly being taken from us. Hopefully that will be reversed and we,as a nation will continue to be blessed.

That's my two cents worth, just an old sailer here! Mike

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well said, Gentlemen. May we all Remember, Reflect and Rejoice that which was wrought by brave men and women, that we might enjoy freedom.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witherspoon on 2001-07-04 00:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
The fourth of July is inspiring to all Americans, I too feel as all the above who put their thoughts here. Be sure to put on the CD with SOUSA MARCHES and crank up the STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER(Sousa). Happy July 4th to all!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Agreed. Happy 4th to all. May the sacrifices of those before us and even now, never be forgotten.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am an officer in the Army Reserve. I just last week hit my 20 year mark and don’t plan to stop. I am an old timer compared the kids that are coming in today. In my last command 80% were 20 years old or younger. These kids just want to do a good job which the military has training them to do. Most of them are very proud to put on the uniform. I have always spoken to them about the scarifies kids just like them did throughout the history of our country. It is these kids that we relied on to bring us though our next conflict. I have never seen combat, and I pray I never will or that our sons and daughters never will. My job is if needed will be to go out and take out the enemy with total force so as not to trend on us again! These kids mean everything to us as a whole. So the next time you see a person in uniform thank him or her, it will mean the world to them and make them proud to serve.

Thank you to all my brothers in arms!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well said Dane. Too many people get wrapped up in the fireworks and BBQ and forget about what it took to get us where we are today.

I am not an American by birth. I was born under a communist dictatorship that my parents fled. The US took us in and gave us the opportunity to build a new life in a great country. I became a US citizen in my early teens and through the grace of God, hard work, and the wonderful freedoms we enjoy only in this country, went on to make a good life for myself. I am forever indebted to this great country and to the brave men and women who have through two and a quarter centuries made this "the land of the free and the home of the brave".

Friar Tuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.