Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
So granted their really never is a "best" when it comes to gear and equipment as they can be adapted to so many variations.

To get on point, suprisingly enough I do not own a .50 BMG rifle and have recently been giving it some serious thought.

Who has them?
Any advice for this .50BMG newbie?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Depends what you want to use it for.

The best bolt gun action is a McMillian. Right bolt, left port solid bottom actions are $1500. Mag fed actions are $1800.

Lilja and K&P make great 50 barrels.

Surplus brass and pulled bullets are actually good. IMI factory ball ammo is excellent.

Best advice, spend the big $$$ now and only cry now, not later when you kick yourself.

I have no experience with the semi’s other than plinking with a light 50 in Somalia.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
988 Posts
If money was fat, I would by the Windrunner, by EDM. It breaks down nicely, and is a fantastic piece. For a bolt-gun, it is high priced.

My Barrett 82a1 and 99 are a ball to shoot. If I was advising a friend to buy a gun with all the money he had, I would recommend the Barrett, it has been that reliable. If you buy one, call the plant and ask for Tony. He is a great dude, but he is gone for about 2 weeks. The 95 is next on my list...maybe the one I would buy if I owned none.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A SF unit was using barrets .50 and now ordered rifles from PGM in 338 lapua and .50. I am not familier with PGM but heard they are superior to the barrets. at 12K each, they better be.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Come on now Mr. DiFabio, with all you have penned here, about your prediliction for acquiring only the very finest of material possesions, one would have thought (at least) one Windrunner already resided in the vault of your *war room*. :razz:

But then again, you still don't own a BCP pistol either... :wink:

XM 107-T WINDRUNNER Lightweight Tactical (takedown) .50 BMG Bolt Action Repeating Rifle

Seriously David, this baby is the cat's meow of fifties. It is the very same gun that set the worlds record for 1000 yard shooting -- which was an amazing 5" five-shot group! It also breaks down (see below) into a VERY small tactical package, that will hold exact headspacing and tolerances when reassembled.

For more info on the Windrunner, see Stewart Wilson's web site.

DD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope,
Not a single .50 BMG yet, I am still shopping for both a .50 BMG and a BCP I just have not found the right one(s) yet.

I did have that idea for the BCP ultra compact but I am still pondering a few ideas.

The windrunner looks quite impressive but I am looking for a more traditional rifle design, maybe a McMillian .50BMG will be in my Xmas stocking this year..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi David .... I have the perfect 50 BMG for you .... just find a good original battle proven Browning Maching Gun and you will have the BEST 50 caliber made for your collection & shooting enjoyment. I think Mike Dillon likes to play with the big-uns too! Only and arm & leg for ammo though! :smile: Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
David,

When you say your interest is in a McMillian rifle that is more "traditional", do you mean something like their Yukon model from their "Hunter" series? I had *thought* they stopped producing those in .50 BMG. I do recall they used to list a fifty caliber Yukon in their catalog, but a quick trip to their web site no longer shows that caliber listed. Is this something available as a special order, or am I confusing your interest with their Big Mac "Sporter"?

McMillian Bros .50 Cal Sporter Rifle

McMillian Bros Yukon Rifle

Or, does your taste run more toward their "Tactical" line of rifles?

McMillian Bros .50 Cal Tactical Rifle

Of course, you could always order a really nice "traditional" BCP rifle in .505 Burns... :wink:

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-10-28 13:16 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DD,
Although you are the bearer of bad news you sure are helpful.
Please remeber that I am definitely a .50 cal novice and can use all the help I can get in locating, evaluating, and choosing the right "first time .50".

Actually the .50cal sporter looks pretty good.
Does anyone have experience with this rifle?

As to a .505 BCP that may have some potential but for now I have committed myself to becoming familiar and practiced with the .50BMG rifle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Perhaps my favorite (in my dreams, no experience IRL) would suit you? It's more traditional, as far as benchrest rifles go, but that loooong barrel has a certain appeal...
Here's the one that DD left out:

george

·
Registered
705 Posts
For those wanting to add to their knowledge base on fifties, one of the best places on the Net, is the 50 Caliber Shooters Association web site. They have a forum there and from time to time you will see a few true bargains, posted in the For Sale section of it.

DD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.