Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News Flash -
The bank that owned Steyr has sold the land the plant is on to BMW. Steyr is shopping for a buyer but a new owner will have to relocate the production facilities. This will be costly to a company that was not making huge profits in the first place. No one knows what the exact future holds. This is too bad since they have a good pistol and some great rifles. It may be that there will be no more Steyrs! More to come as I get it.

Rob

· Registered
205 Posts
Bummer... Guess I better find an 'S' real quick...

Sad part is that they make some great rifles, and I will probably never be able to afford to buy one new, and those that are out in the 'system' have gotten really expensive, or no longer allowed to be imported...

Geee... How about an American buyer for the company... Then, maybe... possibly... The AUG will be back :smile: Yeah, right... Wishful thinking...

· Registered
71 Posts
It's a pity to hear about Steyr. I don't know much about their rifles, but their M series pistols are a lot better gun than Glocks. My Steyr M9 is ergonomic, accurate, has a better trigger than Glock and is just as reliable.

· Registered
32 Posts
I just saw the new Steyr S-Series 9mm for the first time on the cover of Combat Handguns. Bought it and read the article. Sounds like a great gun. Contacted Steyr about when they will be on sale in California. I set my money aside...and then saw this thread. Bummer. L

· Registered
52 Posts
On 2001-06-15 10:53, Jim Watson wrote:
Doggone.
I was holding my breath for the rumored Steyr M-45 built around a 1911 magazine.
As was I. Having a 1911 it would have been nice to have another gun that could use the same mags. I had a Steyr M-40 and I liked the trigger a lot better than my Glock 23. Perhaps there still may be hope for Steyr to find a new home. The one problem is that the EU seems to be hostile to firearms.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the official press release from GSI.Press Release 06/15/2001

GSI, INC. CLARIFIES COMPANY POSITION ON IMPENDING SALE OF STEYR MANNLICHER

Trussville, AL - Over the past several months there have been many
rumors surrounding the sale of Steyr Mannlicher GmbH of Austria and its
effect on the importation and availability of the manufacturer's
firearms in the U.S. In light of this, GSI Inc., the U.S. importer of
Steyr firearms, would like to take this opportunity to clarify their
position in the matter.

It should be noted that Steyr Mannlicher has been for sale by
Creditenstalt Bank of Austria, the owner of Steyr Mannlicher, for
approximately one year. It has been reported in the Austrian press that
Creditenstalt Bank has sold the land on which the Steyr Mannlicher
factory is located to automotive manufacturer BMW for expansion
purposes. Any future owner of Steyr Mannlicher will be required to
vacate the premises by the end of the year 2001. According to that news
report, given the logistics and time necessary to implement such a
relocation of the factory's equipment and staff, it seems inevitable
that production would be interrupted for what could be months.

At the current time, GSI, Inc. has no scheduled shipments for any Steyr
Mannlicher rifles or handguns (of any type), and we do not anticipate
receiving any further deliveries of these firearms. Consequently, any
future orders for Steyr Mannlicher firearms will be limited to our
current inventories, which are already low in particular categories.

For the time being, GSI, Inc. will continue to support the factory after
sales service program for Steyr Mannlicher products until the new owners
of Steyr Mannlicher make their intentions known. Spare parts for the
company's firearms, however, will be limited to inventory on hand.

· Registered
552 Posts
Also have an M40 that like markedly better than Glock 23, etc. Would buy a Steyr single-stack .45 in a Heartbeat!
Can't imagine someone not picking up Steyr's line of Rifles & Pistols if they fold.

· Registered
2 Posts
I was very concerned about the implications that may arise due to the Steyr sales and I wrote a letter to Mr. Wilhem Bubits (THe Designer of the S & M Models you can reach Him at http://www.bubits.at )
He wrotes on Tuesday to me the Following:

Dear Jose,

thank you for your request.

First to your gun, - accesories for the gun are tritium nightsights, holster-magazine-box, and shoulder stock.

Please let me know, in witch country you are living!
In USA GSI is the importer but there could be a change in the next weeks, because last monday steyr was bought by an private Austrian man.
He will reorganize the whole steyr company at the same location where steyr is still now.
There is no stop of the production of steyr goods and no stop of selling!
The problem with GSI is in one way which i cannot tell you, but one thing is absolutly clear steyr can deliver all the products to USA!
I heard that GSI tells that steyr cannot deliver-this is not true!

My best
Willi

So this clears the way to any Concern over the Sales of Steyr Mannlicher.

Regards

Jose Quintero

· Registered
552 Posts
Thanks, Jose.......This is a relief!

· Registered
384 Posts
CDNN has incredible deals on Steyrs right now, as a close out sale. $369 for M series, $499 for S series and M.357 Sig. I'd thought about getting a .357 but was holding off because of concerns about owning an "orphan" pistol. Maybe I'll have to go for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.