Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "wave" serrations allow more grip than you would think possible from the looks of it. Similar to 25lpi and 30 lpi checkering, slightly more than scallops is my take on it. The harder you grip the gun the more traction you create by the concave nature of the milling. The more relaxed your hand and grip is, the less the traction created.

My intention was to give an excellent grip while under physical stress or retention techniques and allow a more relaxed hand to take advantages of the speed issues of those body mechanics plus the ability to adjust the grip while shooting. With hopefully no negatives while carrying concealed from clothing wear or hanging up the presentation.

I am satisfied with the end result. Another worthwhile alternative to checkering, stimpling, scallops or conamids.

Costs? Same as scallops.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-06 18:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
687 Posts
When you said it was coming and called it the Wave, I wondered if this was what is was going to be.... and if it was something other than this, I was going to take a whack at it! Looks very cool, and should be great for those that want that amount of traction (if that sounds backhanded it is not meant to be. I know you specifically designed it to give less, a more relational, amount of stick-shun). Nicely done!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ned, thanks, no slight taken :grin: You should try it since you have the means to do it easily. It gives a whole lot more traction than I had suspected it would.

No question if someone tried hard enough taking one out of my hand it would draw blood doing so, from the friction created. That surprised me!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-06 19:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hmmmmm.....this one is gonna take a bit of getting used to. Tastefully executed, but I'm not used to seeing such abstract freehand impressionism on a 1911.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there is a hole. It is Nowlin's frame and the safety hole is a tiny bit larger than mil spec so there no thumb safety I am willing to use that will cover it. This time it has nothing to do with high gripping the beavertail cut.

HOG treats me fine as long as I don't let her get seduced by a damn attorney :grin:

But she's a jealous mistress now that she see's the groovey new babe around the shop :smile:

Gotta say though there are getting to be some astute 1911 buyers on list!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I think it looks quite unique. I'm sure
that more than a few folks will try it, if
I had an extra 1911, I sure would. Looks
great Dane, keep it up with the open mind
and creativeness!!!!!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmmm.....this one is gonna take a bit of getting used to.
Any thing new is going to take some getting use too :grin: Remember the "waves" of nausea over the scallops on the 1911 Forum when I first posted the pictures?

I didn't do this for looks I did it for function. (you knew that though :smile: I like the fact that I had to soften these up because they were so grabby on the hand. Better too much and go backwards than not enough!

Just another idea. This one wasn't my idea but I helped in the final design and like it alot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I may be brutaly honest...I think the wave detracts from the minimilist design that makes a 1911 so attractive. I think the wave conflicts with the basic lines of the gun. It's like a Kia. It'll get you there ...but do you want to be seen driving one? IMHO

·
Registered
407 Posts
Now we're talking Innovation Baby!
Are you ready to discuss cost and turn around time or is this a prototype? If it is, send it down for T&E down here in Humid Miami :smile:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Form follows function!

Dane, once again, your artistry and craftsmanship have evolved to witness a new beginning.

I guess the scallops will be jealous because of this.

Hmmm..."scallops"...the "wave"...looks like Dane is going through his "Aquatic Period"

Looks great! ...wonder what's next

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does the Wave provide a lot more traction than the vertical serrations?
Yes by a LARGE margin. The WAVE far surpasses 30 lpi IMO and is on the way to 25 lpi. More than scallops IMO. On the flip side a loose grip will allow anything a smooth gun will. The WAVE sure isn't fragile!

Is this what you'll be using on your personal guns now?
Yes I will be shooting the "wave" on my personal guns as of yesterday. I have used scallops , 3 different lpi on checkering and serrations. Getting this gun together and the R&D that went into it is the first time I have really seriously considered using something besides straight serrations @ 25lpi. for my own guns in awhile.

It looks nice in a modernistic artsy way.
Actually I am not a big fan of the cosmetics of the WAVE yet. But I didn't like scallops either and now they seem pretty tame and appropriate looking on a high grade 1911.

I had intended this gun to get the full treatment as a best grade BCP and present it better here but I liked the texture so much I finished putting it together in the best HOG fashion so I could shoot it, NOW!

I like a cleaner looking more traditional 1911 but I want a gun that can do what I am capable of and a texture treatment that will allow the gun to fulfill its potential.

Cosmetically, again, I am not a big fan of Hoag's beavertail either, even the way I cut them, but in actualality it fulfills almost everything I need a beavertail to do, feels awesome in my hand and does it in a smaller package. (Recent noted down side!! Much easier to blow a presentation with the tiny Hoag beavertail and a Commander hammer. There is a good reason some things are retro and should stay that way :grin:

I am one of the harshest customers on list. If you handed the gun shown here to me I'd say "No thanks" until I put it into my shooting hand.....the gun speaks for itself. I was impressed and that isn't easy to do.

I don't lend my name to things that don't work....remember the scallops and the GWH. :grin:

( I am tryng to forget the raffle but even that wasn't a total failure :lol: )

I am accepting Kimber and CMC frames at the moment with a 2 week turn around. Colts and Springfield guns are going to be a bit yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-07 03:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Now that looks NICE! Very artistic, even though that wasn't the original point. Stylistically that treatment would look killer on a... you guessed it... GREY GHOST!!! With the very heavy melt treatment on hardchrome it would be spot-on asthetically and of course extremely functional.

You have an interesting idea of a HOG gun, Dane... I used to think my Delta Elite was nice looking until I saw what you put out under the title "HOG." Since the outside of mine is just Colt and all your goodies go on the INSIDE should I call it the Feral Pig? :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have to ask yourself where did the idea come from.....

Or (for those guys that have never seen a sponge from under the sink :wink:

Not likely since I am a Submariner guy :grin:

My point is besides ancient Celtic runes there are plenty of "waves" all around us...not surprising they end up on a gun and actually work better than intended I guess :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-06 23:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wow, that's pretty interesting looking :smile: I bet it works well too!

Must be nice to have a CNC machine to play with, I can only imagine all the cool stuff a person could come up with. Something like that would keep me busy for days I think.

Anyway, neat stuff Dane. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.