Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some brass this weekend, and noticed that the flash hole is much larger than normal. These are Winchester .45 cases, and look to be in great condition except for the flash hole.

Should I be concerned? I've heard that excessive pressures will be the result if I don't load them down.

Any thoughts/comments would be welcome.

--Mark

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There is no danger at all in reloading the Winchester brass. The enlarged flash hole is used on their "Winclean" line of ammo. The primers in this ammo have a lead-free composition, and the enlarged flash hole makes up for the difference in ignition characteristics of lead vs. non-lead primers.

Reload them like you would any other brass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mean no disrespect to other experiences and opinions. However, I don't use the "large hole" brass. I've seen on discusssion boards and in a shooting magazine where Winchester's official word is use the "large hole" brass like any other. I ran a few tests using the "large hole" brass, standard brass and a few different powders. The results were quite mixed. One powder had higher velocities, one had lower velocities and one had the same. I won't use the "large hole" versions without doing a side by side test using the same components.
YMMV

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Roger, I'm certainly not questioning the results that you have seen, but my experiences with side-by-side reloadings with big flash hole and normal Win. brass showed NO measurable variance......but as you stated, YMMV. :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shane,
Please don't take this as a challenge, I'm just wanting to compare our experiences. My loadings were in 45 ACP, 230 g. RNL, CCI standard large pistol primers, Unique, Red Dot and Universal Clays (mild loads). Unique avg. 664 lg. hole/688 sm. hole
Red Dot avg. 754 lg. hole/702 sm. hole
Universal avg. 869 lg. hole/687 sm. hole

I need to rerun the tests to verify the above.

What were your loadings and velocitites?
Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Roger, my loads were all with Red Dot, 225 gr. LFP, and shot within 20 minutes of each other, with the same gun (Colt Combat Commander). 10 rds. of each load were fired. The average FPS is shown, as well as the spread variance.

4.4 gr.
Lg. hole = 734 +/- 4
Sm. hole = 736 +/- 4

4.7 gr.
Lg. hole = 784 +/- 6
Sm. hole = 785 +/- 3

5.0 gr.
Lg. hole = 823 +/- 6
Sm. hole = 826 +/- 5

I did not compare with any other powder brand, but this test also confirms (for me) what a stable and uniform powder Red Dot is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the data. I'll try to run some more tests this fall or winter (when work slows). I also have some 40 S&W marked Federal NT. The NT's appear to have a larger flash hole and staked in primers. I'm thinking that a couple of powders, a couple of primers and a couple of charge weights should identify if there is a significant difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.