Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having made a working AR-15 receiver from a 7075 T6 M-16 forging over 20 years ago. I thought I would go for the Thunder Tactical 80% 1911 416r Stainless Steel frame and ordered one along with their jig.
AM I the first one in this Forum?

I found this forum investigating on how to blacken Stainless Steel.

PS, I am a tool junkie...:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Thunder Tactical 80% 1911 416r frame and jig plates arrived today. Besides doing the other 20%, I will need to do a little hand work like remove hole burs, but so far the quality looks very good. I held the TT up to my Sarco Gunsmith Special that must have been 90% finished and found places the Sarco GS special had some holes missing. When I get both done, I will have two 1911 frames to build.
Before I do either one, I need to finish the DRO installation on my HF Seig Mini Mill. I have a DRO on my floor milling machine and on my floor lathe.
Since I travel for my job, the TT 1911 will take a few months before I am done. DROs are great for old tired eyes. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
Thank you so much for the followup. Are the holes in the Sarco all properly placed and true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sarco frame is a Rock Island Armory that had some flaws and was pulled off the line before finishing. I will need to mess with the slide to make it work and use my Thunder Tactical 80% as a template to properly locate the missing small holes in the frame. The hardest missing hole in the Sarco Gunsmith Special Frame is on page 52 section L of the prints I listed above. When I finish the DRO installation on my Seig (HF) Mini mill, placing that hole for the Slide Stop Plunger will be much easier. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
So you have already ascertained all the holes in the TT frame are properly placed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many of those who go the 80% route are not real machinists or even Amiture Gunsmiths who read a book from the NRA or Brownells. One thing these 80% users love to do is complain about quality and the slightest flaw. Even when they screw it up by doing stupid stuff like climb milling without having a milling machine with ball screws, it is not their error.
I have not extensively QA ed the Thunder Tactical 80% 416r Stainless Steel frame hole locations. But the few I did check were right on.

Since nothing stood out and the TT 80% 416r SS frames on Youtube have had the parts fit and function, I am taking the leap of faith that the QA is OK. If there are any QA issues, I will report them.
So far, the only QA issue is the poor quality of the pictures in instructions pdf I was emailed. Nothing to get worked up over.

If you are a good Machinist or good amature pistolsmith, the TT 80% 416r SS frame should not be a tough task.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top