Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that with a comp gun it is advantagous to delay the unlocking of the barrel to get the most efficiency out of the compensator. This can be done in many ways, but my question is the use of a stock main spring verses a Gold Cup or 18 lb main spring. Is this only good in therory or is there any benifit? Does the use of the reduced power main spring have any advers affects on lock time that would make useing them not an option?

Every thing seems to be work fine I am just locking to get a little bit more performance out of my 2 port (Low tech )vs all the 3,4,5,7 ports out there today and all that technology they have....Thanks Rofi

· Registered
78 Posts
I would gander to say that you might be better off trying a load with a slower burning powder to generate more gas for the comp than changing the recoil springs. Any bit of "improvement" you might gain by delaying the unlocking may affect the reliability. I think by using the slower powder with lighter bullets (185jhp)you might attain as much as you are going to with the comped .45 IMHO. I am sure if there is more performance to obtain by the unlocking principle the other folks will post if for you. good luck, DougC

· Registered
530 Posts
Rofi,

I don't know if going to heavier hammer springs is the best idea as this affects other things too like your trigger. You may try using a an OS firing pinstop from EGW. One of the things is has is it is squared off for fitting at the bottom where the hammer will contact it on the cycle. Since it is squared for fitting you can slowly round the corner. The squared edge will require more force to cock the hammer, thus keeping the gun in lockup a little longer. I have heard of people playing with this, It is good? I really don't know.

I think I would try different bullet/powder combos and maybe have some milling done to my comp..You might try having some side ports milled to minimize dot ocsillation, might try milling a couple of ports through the barrel and slide. Very similar to what Jarrett and Barnhart had done to their guns. As afar as powders and bullets..you have a lot of combinations. This is assuming you are shooting some .355 based cartridge.
Powders to try Viht offers 3n37, 3n38, n350, n105. Vectan has SP2, Acurate Arms, AA5, AA7, AA9. Winchester used to have might still find WAP, WW540. Bullets you have jacketed in 124, 125, 130, 135, 150, 160 and 170 grain bullets.

My experience is that each feels and performs differently in different comps. Plus your shooting style and ability will determine what you are looking for.

The trick is to make the gun do a very predictable movement during its cycle. and have your ability to see the dot or the front sight timed to that cycle.

Right now, I am shooting a short slide, two port full profile comp. At the new power factor the gun shoots very soft and very quick. I am using 125JHP from montana gold, Remingtion Nickel brass, Winchester small rifle primers, and Viht 3n37. My trigger is a moderate one at 2.5 pounds and I have an EGW OS fp stop in it. I can see the front sight (or dot when optima is on it) lift up, move slightly circular to the right and track back to the orgin. Oh, spring weight will effect this too. Too heavy the dot will dive low. too light will not return to original point of aim.

Anyway. sorry to make this so long...Good Luck to you

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eerw on 2001-06-04 15:42 ]</font>

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on tuning with spring rate. I have settled into a 185 JHP with #5 powder and winchester primers(45ACP). About 1100 fps I seem to be able to keep my eye on the front sight and the bbl comes right back on followup shoots. Thanks again. Below is a pic of my first pin gun hope everyone enjoes it as much as I :wink:.....rofi
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1 ... 0&res=high

· Registered
239 Posts
rofi:
Your .45 comp will likely do better with the faster/lighter bullet load, as it should generate more gas pressure. Accept that you have only a limited amount of low pressure gas to work with, when compared with a .38 Super. I played a lot with a single port .45 comp about 10 years ago, and had good luck with 165 gr bullets. I later went to a .38 Super triple port with 124 gr bullets, and the results were much more dramatic. Watch that changing spring rates and timing can adversely affect reliability, so go easy. Some guns get really weird with a comp on them. Good luck.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hilton,
Do you know any one trying +p or 45 super in a comp gun to get the pressures needed to make the comp realy come to life? I have only tried my reloads and do not go above max table listings (no pressure signs).ROFI

· Registered
239 Posts
rofi:
I wouldn't mess with max pressure in a standard (non ramp) barrel, as you may start blowing cases. Work within the limitations of what you have, and you'll be safe, happy, and squeeze more service life out of your gun.

· Registered
530 Posts
Rofi,

Hilton is very correct about being careful watching the pressures you are looking to generate. To get pressure to work a comp really well the thought has been to use lighter bullets to create more gasses for the compensator to work with. If you are going to pin shoot, I believe they like to use a heavier bullet to get more mass on the pin to knock clear of the table.
I have found that when you start increasing pressures for comps there is a fine balance that you work with between excessive pressures, bullet weight, powder type and characteristics. You need to be aware of pressure signs when you work up your loads and be mindful of what you are wanting your gun to do. This is when I have a lot of conversations with my gunsmith and shooting buddies. Good luck in your search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.