Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying this book. Dane, if you have the time could you square us away and give me/us your thoughts about the book. Looks to be a good read from what I saw on the Rangemaster website :smile: Thanks all :grin:

G

·
Tom's book is great and don't forget to buy David DiFabio's soon to be released "buy smarter" book.............LOL
Seriously Tom, great post, now I need to get your book.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: Tom, I didn't realize that you were on the forum here, how funny!

Can you give us a detailed overview of the book, if you have the time? :smile:

I bought Walt Rauch's book tonight at the local magazine shop. Looks to be a good read. Some mysterious person named "Burns" told me he was maybe a Secret Service agent at one time :wink:

DISCLAIMER: for those of you that don't know any better, the above statement was meant as a JOKE :lol: I think we could all stand to lighten up a bit here lately, given some of the contentious debates that have gone on lately. Not a reference to anyone in particular. No warranty, either expressed or implied. Subject to local laws :lol:

"The people will not understand the importance of the 2nd Amendment until
it is too late" -Thomas Jefferson

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-14 22:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Fighting Smarter is meant to cover more than just shooting.
About 30% of the book deals with strictly mental issues. Developing a proper mindset, cultivation of awareness skills, and techniques for mental crisis rehearsal are all covered, as well as info on detecting and, thereby, avoiding criminal conduct.
Legal issues are addressed, and an attempt is made to have the reader understand the dynamics of a violent confrontation-- before, during, and after the fight.
The Modern Technique is also addressed, and Jim Higginbotham contributed a very good section on ammunition and its role.
If you don't care if my family is cold and hungry, don't buy one.

Tom

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply Tom :smile: Sounds like a great book!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
For a slightly less bias account of Tom's book here is my normal 4 bits :smile:

Tom is a friend who I met through training. He invited me to teach a weekend class at RANGEMASTER in Memphis, several years ago. He actually had little knowledge of what I taught, had never met me and took not some little liability and risk professionally allowing me to work with his students in a very risky endevor, combatives instruction.

During the several dinners Tom, Jim Higginbotham and I shared over the next 5 days we got to know each other a little. I was WOWED for several reasons. I heard stories of Col. Cooper (both Jim and Tom know him well and where his studnets)and the early days of IPSC and saw each of them shoot. I am a fair shot. They are both exceptional shots...and I am picky on what I consider exceptional. I was the third person to past their Masters test...and I just barely squeaked by to get that cert. which I wanted it badly. The other two guys on that plaque were Jim and Tom and dozens had tired I was told. No one mentioned that till I say the plaque though. I had truly been sand bagged :grin: That I liked!

There are now 5 total on that plaque after being available for 5 or 6 years.

I tried to get Tom and Jim to offer a class at a 499 and 599 level from the "old GUNSITE". I saw the potential there and really wanted to learn from two guys who could SHOOT and after seeing Tom lecture and Jim demo skills....TEACH.

What does this have to do with the book?

Tom and Jim kid each other and any one within ear shot about each having half a brain. The two together make a entire thought, they say. Well I suspect that they both have forgotten more on the subject of pistolcraft than I know, and I am a serious student.

I have taken classes from most of the nationally known instructors. I have taught with some of them. I find it flattering that they allow me to teach with them and neither owns one of my pistols as part of the deal. (I tried to bribe both of them already, there was no need :wink: )

"FIGHTING SMARTER" is the basis for what we teach as a threesome. It is the basis for what I think is important in self defense. Make no mistake, the thought process is Tom's. But for the life of me I can't figure out, who did what, when Tom wrote, Jim did and I said in places of our training or Tom's book.

I buy the books from Tom. I give them away with every full house I build. I also give away a holster from Lou Alessi with the same guns.

The reason I do that is I think that the gun is a small part of the smart user's package using a pistol for CCW. I think there is a need of the best IWB available. More importantly and a hell of a LOT less money is Tom's book. But I have to say of the three, holster, gun or book, the book "FIGHTING SMARTER" is the most important, even if it took two guys sharing a brain and their side kick to fill in the content. Well at least one picture is mine anyway.....I want the photo credit TOM! :grin:

Bottom line, buy the book, then buy good leather, like Lou's, and save your pennies for a BCP. You'll be better served with Tom's message first IMO.

Don't worry about Tom's family being cold or hungry, Jim and I can cover that.

Worry about your family and you being, cold and dead....or hungry because of a bad decision during a shooting. A $20 book won't save you but it might start uou on a road that will.

There are a lot of books in my self defense library...this is certainly one of the best, even if you left my guns and cute face out of text.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-15 01:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dane,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share that with me :grin: Very revealing and informative.

Guess I better get of my lazy kester and call Rangemaster tomorrow then :smile:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Justin,
if possible try to get in one of the classes also. I learned in 5 days more then i could ever imagine.
the food joints in memphis are pretty good as well...:smile:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just my two cents here, I do have Tom's book. The reading of is in progress. It's worth the price just for the essay that Tom included writen by Jim Higginbotham. I'm only to chapter seven Tom but like all good things it's getting better. :grin: Also thanks for the special offer you gave to the members of pistolsmith.com awhile back. I know you will keep up the quality of writing that you do Tom Givens. Mike

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yup, Tom's book is excellent. Check out the "Tactical Library" thread for others. At a minimum you need:

Givens Fighting Smarter
Gila May-Hayes Effective Defense: The Woman, The Gun, The Plan
Farnam The Farnam Method of Handgunning
Suarez The Tactical Advantage
Cooper Principles of Personal Defense

This is, of course, my opinion only. I also like Chris Bird's The Concealed Handgun Manual.

Tom's book is probably the best overview of the current state of pistolcraft and personal tactics. It's well reasoned and pretty well written (although it could have used a good editor/proofreader in a couple of spots). I'm a writer by trade, so things like that bug me :smile:. Doesn't detract from the quality of the information, though.

Also at the top o' the heap is Gila May-Hayes's book. Don't be put off by the title. It's not for women only. She brings a truly refreshing perspective to the concept of self defense. It's the book I recommend the most to first-time gun buyers or those who are reconsidering their ideas of personal security. It's a great read for anyone who owns or carries a gun, but I think she covers the emotional and moral aspect of gun ownership better than anyone else out there. I've given away four or five copies to friends and coworkers. I'm really excited that she's put out a second edition.

You should always read everything you can get your hands on. It's like working with different trainers -- you pick up something new from each. Or one writer may explain something in a way that makes more sense to you personally.

Chad

·
Registered
213 Posts
Out of curiosity I did a quick search on google and found a full length review of this book by Karl Rehn. Karl is a trainer in the Austin, Texas, area, and we have no connection professionally or personally. The link is here.

I also found an endorsement by Gabe Suarez at http://www.terra.es/personal/amatir/techni/copsv15.pdf.
Just for info.

[link fixed]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-06-19 12:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think the most unique thing about Tom's FIGHTING SMARTER is that it is like the porridge that Goldilocks finally settled on...."just right". It is neither too "basic" for the experienced shooter, nor is it too complex for the novice. It is also comprehensive enough to serve well as a single volume to provide to persons who have finally decided that they are responsible for their own personal security.

I say buy TWO copies...one to keep for one's own reference and one to loan out.

As to Tom's family being cold and hungry; they may be hungry, but it's June in Memphis...they AIN'T cold.

Rosco

G

·
I may offer a differing opinion here as I believe the most interesting part of Tom's book is his writing style.

In the past 20 years I have painfully read and reviewed a great many of these volumes as they drone on and on, often requiring three to four times the normal length of time to read.

I have thumbed through my Weed Eater manual with greater interest and excitement then some of the “Best Tactical” and “Real World Experience” volumes.
On some occasions I have actually been shall we say “troubled” by the complete lack of subject understanding the writers have displayed.

For I tend to shun away from "Experts" and "Combat Masters" as teachers, writers, and instructors.
It has been my experience that few can do either let alone the combination well, until now.

Let me say that "Fighting Smarter" differs in that Tom Givens is using a passive voice much like the manner of the best coaches without taking on the overtone of the "teacher" or "master".

This method allows the reader to absorb the material at a relaxed pace while delivering a steady rhythm of information.

This to me says a great deal of Tom Givens true nature and underlying teaching abilities.

Additionally,
I was intrigued by Tom's thought process enough to reread the volume again several times.

Fighting Smarter is a quality work that encompasses a wide range of variables in one shadow of text.

Tom is a true teacher, and please make no mistake about it you will be better for spending time with Tom Givens the "writer".
And through his written word you will be "Fighting Smarter".

G

·
One important tip, do not lend Tom's book to "friends" for the day as they will lend it to other friends and now a week later you (me) need to call Tom and get a new copy.

Better yet, get a few and give them out.
Your friends will be much better for it and some of them may actually realize the favor you have done them.

Now if only Tom would distribute it in Palm format?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Guys, my sincere thanks to everyone for all of the positive comments about the book. It's nice to have one's work appreciated, and positive comments from one's peers make the effort worthwhile.
For the rest of July I will repeat an offer I made earlier to help spread the word. Mail orders only, send a check, money order or credit card and I will send a signed copy of Fighting Smarter for just $20.00, INCLUDING shipping. That saves you $8.95 off the regular retail + shipping price. Send to
Tom Givens
Rangemaster
2611 S. Mendenhall
Memphis, Tn, 38115.
Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.