Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting for 20 years, but only in the military, with 1911's, and Beretta M9's. I'm finally going to buy my own pistol, and am torn between the Glock 22 and a Walther P99 (.40 S&W). Anyone out there exposed to both, and objective enough to give me an honest assessment and recommendation? I'm going strictly by reputation and reviews in coming to these two choices. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much, Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Walther & Glock

I do not have any experience firing the Glock but I have handled them and they did not feel good in my hand. Glocks do have a very good dependability rating from most people. I own 2 P99's one in 9 and one in 40 both have been very dependable and they fit my hand very well. The nice thing is the adjustibility of the backstrap on the hand grip to fit various size hands. Also it has adjustable sights. I am not sure if the Glock does. Most likely a plus with the Glock would be more accesories such as lasers and lights would be available to fit it than the Walther. I would reccomend handling and firing both if possible and than make your decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you plan to carry this pistol or just shoot at the range ? I plan on getting a P99 .40 very soon... I messed with one at the gun store the other day and I loved everything about it:

* Cool trigger - Long/Safe DA... nice smooth SA.
* Second strike capability
* Decocker... with ability to recock striker easily if I want to shoot SA right off the bat
* Paddle mag release (rather than standard button)
* Adjustable backstraps for grip adjustment
* Adjustable rear site and choice of front sites
* And I just love the look of them

And then looking at the Glocks... well, visually the glocks hurt my eyes, but funcitonally they have a reputation. But still... I'd rather have a safe trigger option with the P99, than dealing with a GLock. Check out the Walther Forum... some guy was posting how he's through 21,000 rounds with his P99 with no cleanings and no issues.

I'm sure you know all of the above, but I just don't see the comparison.... there are obviously a great deal of people with loyalty to Glocks though.

If you haven't seen the Faq and Lunde's pictures(great P99 shots), check them out:
http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/firearms.html

Are there any reasons you have been wanting the G22 ? Just reputation of the Glocks ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
two completely different guns here. You would be best advised to shoot them both before making any choice. I've shot them both and own two from one of the manufacturers. I can tell you this, you will probably like one over the other without question.

Let me make your life even a bit more difficult, by telling you to add a H&K USP compact to the list. YOu might be plesantly suprised.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The .40 Glocks are well known for their snappy, even painful recoil. I got rid of a G23 because it just hurt too much to shoot. That, and because I didn't want to take the chance it might detonate in my hand some day. And because it had those uncomfortable finger grooves.

You won't go wrong with a Walther P99.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the features of the P99 more than the Glock, and it's very similar in it's handling.
9mm is the one I've fired.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was mighty impressed with the P99 QA. The trigger was cleary nicer than Glock. The regular P99? I would rather have a Glock as double action sucks rocks. Pistols that have two different trigger pulls are obsolete. It is not clear to everyone yet, but in 5 or 10 more years it will be.

·
Registered
91 Posts
rsilvers said:
I Pistols that have two different trigger pulls are obsolete. It is not clear to everyone yet, but in 5 or 10 more years it will be.
Wasn't that said when the model 1911 came out? And then again when the BHP came out? :wink:

About the question @ hand, both are fine pistols. I've never owned the G22, but I do own a G20, G29 and a G19. Glocks are nice pistols that have gone 'bang' everytime I've pull the trigger and hit in general vicinity of where you're aiming the pistol.

I have a P99 QPQ in .40S&W and it is a fine pistol. Both trigger pulls are comfortable, the gun goes bang when I pull the trigger and is slightly more accurate than my G19 and on par with the G29. The best thing about the P99 is the adjsutable grip size. That makes the pistol extremely comfortable and user friendly.

If I had only one .40S&W to own... it would be my P229. Why? I have a .357 Sig barrel for it. Now if I had P99 .357 Sig barrel... I dump the P229.

Either will give you a lifetime of service.

Derek

·
Registered
29 Posts
viesczy said:
rsilvers said:
I Pistols that have two different trigger pulls are obsolete. It is not clear to everyone yet, but in 5 or 10 more years it will be.
Wasn't that said when the model 1911 came out? And then again when the BHP came out? :wink:

Derek
And it was correct, no?

·
Registered
91 Posts
rsilvers said:
And it was correct, no?
Well, it is a few years since both the 1911 and the HP hit the scene and there still are a great many DA/SA pistols available. The 5-10 year time frame is a bit short.

Has the DA/SA pistol reached its obsolescence with you? Sure, to you. Your wants have dictated that, but the global market will continue devouring DA/SA pistols long after the stated 10 time frame.

Enjoy your DAO pistols, but the DA/SA configuration will endure. It has for at least 70 years.

Derek

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like Glocks. I have a 19 and a 26. But I also love my P99 and I do not agree that sa/da is obsolete either. Never will be IMO. I don't quite get the connection with the 1911 and BHP though, because they are both just single action.
Both have to be cocked, they are not SA/DA. The Beretta 92FS comes to mind as an SA/DA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Paladyn,
What I was saying that the single action pistol types have been around a very long time and the DA/SA has endured. I used the 1911 and BHP as an example of a single action configuration.

Derek

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry about that! I agree wholeheartedly. In a perfect world, I'd just stick by Browning HP in a holster on my belt and wear it that way. But that isn't the way it works now, it has to be concealed, hence the Glock 26.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a quick input from a member that owns a SW99 & P99 plus Gocks 27 & 35 and numerous BHP's.

Given a choice between Glock and Walther I'd opt for the P99 reason being the added advantage of the decocker. I know that the Glock has 5 internal safeties however some people don't realize that the main safety on a Glock is keeping one's finger off the trigger because technically it is not a DA/SA it is a SA. When the Glock is in battery the trigger is in single action mode where the 99 with it's decocker will afford you the additional margin of a DA mode.

That been said I'd still opt for the BHP either way. There are several ways to carry a BHP just like a 1911 "Cocked and Locked" I've never had a problem in this condition but I also could draw and cock with one hand too. I've been practicing the "Isreali" technique of carrying with empty chamber drawing and chambering in one fluid motion with two hands and acquiring target acquisition. (If your interested I know a site where you can see a video of this technique.)

Back on the subject one other way with a BHP is with the renewed SA SFS High Power with it's "hammer forward" safety engaged when ready to fire disengage the safety and in doing so it puts the hammer in firing position.

Here's a some pics of my SA SFS

RC

·
Registered
13 Posts
I loved my p99 in 40 until I had to have trigger finger surgery. :x The trigger has a good curve to it and on recoil it really yanks you finger. The glock 23 is managable with uncle mike's grips on them. If they would put a glock style trigger on a p99, I would own it. I love Sig triggers but their guns are too thick for my mits. You will find that a .45 has a tamer recoil that a 40SW on a light polymer gun. The best shooting 40 I ever had was an all steel Witness compact, that one I sold and wish I had it back. If you have the money, check out an HK 2000 with LEM trigger. These run about 700 or 800, but was much more pleasant to shoot in 40 than the Glock and P99, for me anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts