Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to get rid of the trigger take up on my Ultra CDP? I think I have a nice break without any creep but I'd like to reduce the take up make the whole thing closer to my BHP

·
Registered
93 Posts
God question.
I bet someone here knows the answer....

My Compact also has some take-up, maybe 3/16", which is way too much for me.

These triggers are adjustable, and if I had an itty-bitty allen wrench, I'd give it a whirl.

Anybody wanna give us a hand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hold on to your allen wrench! The adjustment screw in the trigger is for overtravel (movement after sear release).

Take up cannot be adjusted without disassembly and soldering/bonding a stop on the front of the trigger bow just behind the trigger shoe. Purpose: to keep the trigger from resetting too far forward and thus reducing trigger travel (take-up) before engaging the disconnector and sear.

Some triggers have little adjustment tabs at the front of the trigger bow for this purpose. Most do not.

You can make your pistol potentially unsafe and unreliable if you reduce the take-up too much.

If you reduce the overtravel too much your sear will rub on the half cock notch of the hammer. This interference will bring up a burr and damage the carefully stoned surfaces on your sear. It could do worse.

When checking the overtravel adjustment you should feel no interference when manually lowering the hammer slowly all the way down with the trigger pulled all the way back. If you feel a little "bump" back off on the overtravel screw about a turn and check again.

I understand the desire to tinker, but understand the interrelationship of all the parts and their function first.

BTW, some take-up travel is necessary for a safe trigger. Ask your neighborhood professional gunsmith.

I await further comment from the REAL gunsmiths on the forum. After all, I'm just the "tonerguy." :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a trigger job done on my Stainless Classic and the smith really eliminated a lot of the take up. He said that the trigger had tabs or something for adjustment but the factory didn't bother to fit it very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.