Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Colt 70 Government model with a beavertail and adjustable trigger. I have not fired it yet. If I dry fire it the hammer falls all the way. If I hang on to the hammer and slowly lower it while pulling the trigger, it will hang on the half cock notch. I tried backing off on the screw but it stillbumps the half cock notch ( I assume). Any ideas? Could the trigger bow be bent and not throwing far enough?

Thanks
Brian W

·
Registered
391 Posts
Somebody has done a dangerous thing: they have cut down sear engagement by grinding the top of the notch without doing a similar grind on the half cock location. Just a few strokes with an India stone should correct the problem. If you have a hammer/sear gage, you can work the parts by hand and actually see the problem happen before you grind on anything.
This should fix the snag problem.
I should mention that some pistolsmiths stone the edge of the half cock notch into a cam that will deflect the sear point if the trigger pull does not seat the trigger fully against the stop. Since this can be deteriorating to a good release, it is preferable to set the overtravel with just a few thousandths of extra space behind the stop to make certain the release will be clean all of the way down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also check rearward trigger travel, grip safety clearance.
JB

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got a chance to disassemble my gun to check out the problem. :smile:
Got a sear block from Brownell's and checked the operation.Slight stoning of the edge of the half cock notch,(thanks John) and I noticed that the tang on the grip safety had been peened and was rough so I did a couple strokes here as well
(thanks JB) Put it back together and checked safety operation and hammer fall. NO snag :grin: I also replaced the solid steel trigger with a Wilson lightweight trigger while it was apart.Hope to test fire this afternoon.:grin:
Thanks guys
Brian W

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian W on 2001-05-06 10:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian W on 2001-05-06 10:58 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts