Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Tungsten guide rod..looks like regular full length guide rod except made out of tungsten.

Dustcover..forward part of the frame..STI, SV, Les Baer make frames where this is extended to end of five-inch slide..also made with extra width for a little more weight..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tungsten is heavier than steel and adds weight. The most common use is for guide rods and other unsprung parts to put more weight at the muzzle and reduce muzzle flip on recoil, and the time to fire subsequent shots. Limcat even makes a tungsten barrel with a steel core to add even more weight. I know a fella who has one in his STI and he says there it's like shooting a comped gun, there is so little flip.

The downside of tungsten is that it is brittle. There are many reports of tungsten guide rods breaking. I chose steel for the rod in my SVI for this reason. I've heard no complaints about the tungsten-enhanced barrels yet. I don't think the lugs incorporate tungsten.

SF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.