Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as some may know I have an 1895 Mauser. For those who don't know this is not the great 98 mauser action but the weaker earlier action. The gun has already been butchered/sporterized by someone who quite didn't know what they were doing. It is still 7x57 Mauser.

I was thinking about making it into some type of pistol caliber. I will be reloading for it so the only thing I require is availability of components, brass, bullets.

My reasons for this is to have something truley unique and to have the gun last longer due to lower chamber pressures.

The gun would be used for range fun, and MAYBE some close whitetail deer (depending on caliber)

What would you guys do? Turn it into what chambering/barrel? Or just load light 7x57 loads?

·
Registered
579 Posts
The standard factory load in 7x57 (7mm Mauser) are on the light side for the older military rifles.

You could hand load mimimum load listed for the bullet and powder of your choice. Do not go below as 'detonation' can happen from too light a load.

I don't think the price of setting the barrel back and or custom dies would be cost effective for a range fun gun. Use it in 7x57 and enjoy the caliber. It's great on deer! :smile: Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.