Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When re-assembling my Protector Compact last weekend, I noticed that after tightening the two piece guide rod, the slide would not function. When I loosened the guide rod slightly, the slide functioned properly.

The other 45 I have with a two piece guide rod requires that the guide rod be as tight as you can get it (and sometimes requires loctite) to prevent it from coming loose.

Is this a problem I should contact Wilson about, or is this OK?

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Take the guide rod out and reassemble it out of the gun. Does it look normal? I'm thinking that maybe when you tighten it in the gun, it may be kinked, or not straight for some reason.

The other possibility is that the threads are stripped and you are not really tightening both pieces snug together. The recoil spring my be getting hung up on the gap between the two pieces?

·
Registered
42 Posts
What I believe is happining is that the back part,the part that holds the spring on,is undersized..When tightning the front piece into the rear that final turn causes the part to twist and bind in the dust cover,a bit of back twist on the wrench and it comes loose and can function correctly..At least that is what happens with one of mine..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted Wilson's and spoke to a couple of different people. Frank told me the head on the recoil rod may be turning just a bit when I tighten it too much. He also said it is "self locking." It doesn't come loose when I'm shooting it, so I guess it will be OK. If it causes any trouble, I'll just have Wilson's fix it. I don't want to change anything about the gun that may change the way it shoots because it shoots so darn well.
Dennis D. Carter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.