Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the 10mm first came out there was no reloading information avaiable for it except in the magazines. A friend had a new Colt Delta, so I lent him a magazine on the subject, and he happened to be a very good trap shooter in college back east. He loaded some ammo up with the stated bullet and the powder charge was with "AA". Up to then "AA" was Winchesters trap shotgun powder. At the range the Colt had a lot of "snap" on the first shot and after the second he quite shooting and called me up later that evening. The case (he gave them to me) for a day measured .125" large in diameter in front of the extractor grove for .125" toward the case mouth. The powder charge was the correct weight, measured and not thrown. The Colt was OK except for the shock buff (only Wilson back then) and showed NO apparent damage! Replaced buff, factory ammo and it ran fine. ON the last page of the article, in the foot notes, it said "AA" was Accurite Arms Powder. Not "AA" for Winchester Trap, but only "AA" was listed in the receipt in the main body of the article. QUESTION: Pressures! I (not knowing what brass flows at) figured 100,000 plus psi off the top of my head! I do not remember the brand of brass but not many made it way back then. Just thought you all might be interested in this. (Also back when people took responsibility for there OWN actions.) Just my two cent's worth! Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Randall_1611,

Thanks for sharing that story. I guess you could say your friend proofed that Colt :smile:

Its a good reminder for all of us who load our own ammo to cross reference our data...

btw, what brass did he use, Norma?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is out of town, will try to find out as I can not remember what we used back then. Those old colts are tough. Would like better estimate of the pressure to have the brass flow .125" on the way out of the chamber. Would have been a "flat shooting load" :lol: Posted for the shook buff round change No. I do think it helped the frame for sure! Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.