Pistol Smith Forum banner

Uncle Mike's new plastic vs/ Fobus, for G23

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  col132 
#1 ·
I latched on to one of the Uncle Mike's the other day from my pals that built the molds for Michaels of Oregon, and did a little
side-by side. I'd have to call the Michael's a better product, though not by a huge margin. What I suspected would be a weak
point on the Fobus is indeed so: the three rivets holding the paddle to the holster. The uncle Mike's has the same weak point, but
it is much less so. There are two screws instead of three rivets, and the wall thickness of the plastic, everywhere, is greater.

Holster tension on the UM is adjustable; not so on the Fobus. Both, IMO, are very secure in terms of the paddle staying with you.
The UM has quite a hook in it, which may be overkill, because can't I get either one off without undoing the pants. The UM holds
the pistol about 3/4" higher-- a matter of personal taste. The holster part on the UM is one piece-- on the Fobus it is two halves with more rivets, but I'd say this area is plenty strong on the Fobus. Both keep the pistol hugged nicely to the body. This is the only model of Fobus I have, and the only model I have compared between the two brands, so it is far from an exhaustive test, just some impressions. I do like the Fobus, except for the one weak area. Mine has seen not much
use and is loose there already.

I guess both would be subject to upturned noses by some (well, maybe not in the Glock context), but I do know a couple of detectives using the Fobus because they just aren't in a position to spend $125+, maybe more than once, to get something they like.... and the plastic paddles are awfully convenient.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.