Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I remember correctly, the underwater kit consists of striker spring cups that are relieved to allow water to pass through. This is supposed to eliminate the possibility of water in the slide slowing down the striker as could happen with the stock solid spring cups.

Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
The "amphibious" spring cups are indeed relieved to allow for water to pass by, so that it may drain upon surfacing with the weapon after submersion, and so that the striker may move freely if water finds its way into the channel. To my knowledge, this part was intended for marine environments, and for personnel that may be exposed to the possibility of submergence. This design is not intended to allow the user to fire it underwater, even though some have tried. As such, Glock will no longer sell them to the general public. Apparently, they have had to pay for more than one swimming pool liner, as the manual didn't state clearly enough that the Glock handgun is not to be used as a flotation device.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had somehow gotten the impression that they wouldn't sell the kit to civvies because it was "restricted", as in too wicked and would precipitate an underwater crime wave, sorry if that came off like a bad pun.

The subject of firing guns (esp. rifles) underwater has been on my top ten "fascinated by" list for a few years now. Tried to destroy a .303 Enfield doing it and was not successful. Have been trying to locate an AK or SKS for some diabolical experiments. At the SHOT Show, I talked to the guy who is the top Kalashnikov-ist at the Bulgarian factory. He said just take the top cover off and go for it. Guess I'm a little off topic here, but would be interested to hear any actual experiences via Email. AND, of course, anyone with an AK or SKS or other gas-op rifle to donate to science, please dial 1-800-WERUINIT.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I saw some of these buggers for about 5 bucks a set on subguns.com a few months ago and order 5 sets of them. Why? I have no idea, don't even own a glock right now. Anyway, the gentleman who sold them to me said they should only be used in 9mm glocks if I intended to actually use them underwater and that also I needed to seriously consider protecting my ears before I attempted it. I was expecting some really wicked and cool looking thing, it turns out that what I got was just some spring cups, look kind of like little washers or something. I was told you could still use the gun above water no problem, these just give the water somewhere to go. They're not illegal if I understand correctly, just not sold to the public due to litigation concerns. I think mine are up in the back of my closet somewhere. Again, I am just repeating some stuff I was told about them, I have NO first hand knowledge of these things, so please check it for yourself if you have some. Good shooting (and swimming I guess), Jake Salyards

·
Registered
580 Posts
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-07-10 01:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have a friend who just ordered a set a few days ago and has already received them and put them in, and he is an average joe civvie just like us, but i think his came from an aftermarket source, the one with the big ugly werewolf looking dude.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can see the necessity for such cups on the striker, as I have spent lots of time in the marine environment, where water and debris have flowed from the barrel and crevices of my gun. Police and CCW folks in northern climates could also benefit from such a modification, due to melting snow, rain, etc.

Sounds pretty forward thinking for those Austrians to have thought of it, I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.