Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I hope this is the appropriate forum and, please, excuse me if I don't know the proper technical terms for some things.

I have this 5" pistol barrel chambered for the 9x23 mm Largo (pressure is like a "normal" .38 Super WITHOUT the +P).

The thing is the case is unsupported for about .067" from aft the case bevel (the one after the case extractor groove).

I compared it to other guns from the same model but they fully enclose the case aft the case bevel. I shot a single round (124 gr CMJ - RN; 1,180 fps; OAL: 1.299") and the fired case looks fine--no bulge whatsoever.

Should that bbl. be safe to shoot?

The endshake with that bbl./slide combination is about .005" and the gun is a Star mod. A.

·
Registered
951 Posts
9x23 case does not need to be supported in a 1911......Split a 9x23 case and a 38 Super case down the middle. See the difference in case wall thickness? I beleive .... With a properly fit barrel, a 1911works better with a non ramped barrel

Bill Caldwell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please, not that I'm referring to the 9 mm Largo (9 x 23 mm Largo) cartridge instead of the more modern 9 x 23 mm Winchester.

Excuse me for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My fault for the misunderstandin'....When I think 9x23, it is the 9x23 Win. I would think the 9mm largo and any factory load for the 38 Super do not need a ramped barrel......Factory 38 Super worked fine in the 1911's built in the 1930's. Trouble started when We started loadin' 38 Supers HOT to make USPSA Major power factor

Bill Caldwell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts