Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Roderus:
Nice mill work! I've had my eye on those Grizzly mini mills, but wasn't sure if they'd have enough juice to do good work. I'd been told that the larger mills will make more consistent and precise cuts due to the extra power and general stability inherent to their size. On the other hand, the only thing I really aspire to do is some sight cuts and the occasional ejection port. Are you going to try front strap checkering, perhaps with one of the Keller Kustom Ballistics rigs? Do you think that'd work with the Grizzly?

Keep us posted!

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hilton:

After having used this little mill for a few weeks (and trying to find it's limitations). I am pretty much convinced that it will do whatever the home smith wants it to. The motor certainly isn't a problem. It cuts through a hardened slide like butter.(if you use carbide mills) The main limiting factor is the travel of the table. It does not have enough travel to go from end to end and front to back on certain cuts. Read my "cocking serrations" section on the web site for more info. That is however the ONLY cut that I had to move the workpiece to make. Everything else worked fine.(so did the serrations but I had to re-level after moving the slide).

I am doing the dovetail cuts this weekend (but I already know it will do it, cause I did some test cuts on an old damaged slide first).

The size of the Griz is actually a plus with me. I don't have room for a bigger machine so I like the small size. the motor is plenty powerful enough for pistolsmithing and the price is right. Unless something happens to drastically change my mind......I'd say it gets just about a perfect rating. I would have no reservations about recommending it to other Home Smiths.....Just MHO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.