Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest for a "camp" gun for the summer, I set out this morning looking for a 30 or 36.. (Has to be small enough not to be noticed by the campers, and with the certain 'abuse' it's likely to see, I knew Glock would be my best option.)

My dealer had a "used" 30 for $499... It had been fired once by the previous owner, reportedly a smallish fellow who found the recoil too much to bear after running 1 magazine thru it and promply returned it in trade for a 26... There was no holster or finish wear what-so-ever, and just the faintest hint of the usual recoil-induced ghosting on the barrel. The trigger pull felt lighter and 10 times more "crisp" (relative for a glock) than my 23...

A little chat with the friendly staff, a quick diversion to the workroom, a call to insta-check, and I left with the 30 and all it's original boxed accessories, a newly installed set of MeproLights (I like them), and a Fobus, for $580 after taxes...

How'd I do?

Any recommendations on a good ankle and IWB for it?

TIA,

Patrick

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congratulations! The G30 is a great gun -- and you got a great price on it. Mine took about 200 rounds to really break in and shoot well. I was sorely disappointed with the accuracy at first, but after one long shooting session and a good cleaning, it became an absolute tack-driver. Then I read an article somewhere (don't remember where) that said the same thing had happened with their test gun. A friend had exactly the same experience with his G30. I can do tight little groups at 25yds with the G30 that I can't do with any of my other pistols. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and smoked the IDPA classifier, making Expert by a wider margin than I ever have and barely missing Master.

All-in-all, it's a very soft shooting, accurate pistol.

As for IWB holsters, you'll want one that sits pretty deep and has some sort of flange. The G30 is so short and thick that it will dig into your hip if it rides too high. I've got a Kramer IWB#2 that's okay, but not great. Comfortable for occassional wear, but not all day. I'd recommend a Milt Sparks Executive Companion (www.miltsparks.com) or one of Lou Alessi's IWB holsters. As for ankle holsters, I dunno. The G30 is a damn chunky gun. You'd have to wear really baggy pants to get away with it. And you'd probably walk funny trying to swing all that weight around.

Chad

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds great! What a coincidence, I just took delivery of a similarly used G30 today. I stripped it and the factory grease was still there and the cloth I was using to wipe it down came up clean. I think it may even be unfired. FYI for comparison purposes it also had meprolights, 6 mags all with Pearce grip bottoms, and a blade tech holster. I traded in a Dan Wesson revolver that I paid $249 for six years ago and $365. I felt that I got a good deal, especially since a parts breakage had made me lose faith in the Wesson.
Yep...hell has frozen over...I bought a plastic gun that shoots more than caps.
Go over to GlockTalk.com and join the BigDawgs club.

Aloha
John

·
Registered
373 Posts
Arrowman:

I carried a G-30 for a duty gun as soon as they were available. Holsters would depend on your climate, but for IWB you aboslutley cannot beat the VM-2 from Milt Sparks. Wild Bill's also makes great IWB gear, and his scabbards for the short slided, heavy gun are really great. For all around versatitlity, the CQC-S from Lou Alessi is great, and can flatten out the profile of even the G-30. I like kydex from Skunkworks and Cen-Dex, as well as from Mad-Dog.

It sounds like you made a pretty good deal, and remember, get some trigger time on the gun, and after about 4 to 6 boxes of ammo it will shoot better than you could have expected.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gave $475 for my Glock 30 when it was new but I had to call in a favor to get it at that price. I like the pistol a lot and find its recoil to be light. If the recoil of the Glock 30 was too much for the original owner I think you will soon find a great buy on a Model 26. My experience is that many shooters are in the gun a week/month club. They buy and sell on a regular basis looking for the "Holy Grail" of handguns. Great for business isn't it. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
580 Posts
Agree with Chris.......Cen-Dex and Mad Dog's Gun Glove Kydex are certainly the best all round handmade Kydex out there outside of perhaps, Ky-Tac, and their delivery/build time is good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses, Gentlemen! Anyone have any links for Cen-Dex, Wild Bill's, et al? (Already have Milt's... got a WS1 that 'should' be arriving soon.. but I'm thinking synthetic for the 'Tupperware')

Thanks.

Patrick

Oh, This gun was DEFINITELY owned by a Gun-of-the-Week type owner. A call back to the store yielded further insight. He ran 1 mag thru it and drove straight back to the store and traded it in... The cleaning rod and bore brush were still in their slots, with no residue on them, the guys at the store admitted they did the cleaning of the bore and and wipe of the slide. Still has the copper stuff in it, and no burrs at all on the mags. Both have that new "Virgin" magazine syndrome. While it's not my Pro-Carry, I really like this gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you did good, the only other gun i will carry besides my colts is my glock 30. i even went through police academy with it last year just to put some rounds through it.

these are awesome guns, and to me the recoil is slight (its diff for everbody though)

ayoob has written several reviews of this gun, and he laso advised to run a couple of hundred rounds through it before you really start testing it. and he was right!

russel the cop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.