Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase from a good friend a USP/C in .40 or .45. He wants to sell one of them and will let me have my choice. He is not an avid shooter and will want to keep one for protection, he doesn't care which one it is. I have multiple pistols in both calibers, so additional ammo is not an issue. The .45 has 200 rounds through it and the .40 has 350 rounds, both are just like new. The majority of his shooting was with me so I know both pistols real well.

Comments on which way to go. Pro's and cons of each?

Thanks,

77Bronc

·
Registered
350 Posts
We're discussing this on another thread right now. I say definately the .40. The usp compact is the only gun that I prefer in a 40. All others I think I am better going up to a .45 or down to a 9mm. The USP compact seems almost like the ideal platform for the .40 round. In a .45 I would want to carry lighter weight rounds and there would be less of them. So, when faced with either 165 grain 45's or 165 or 180 grain .40s I will take the 40.

But, that is just me. I think your practice and mindset will matter a lot more than the gun/caliber thing.

PS - both good guns by the way, at least I think so.

Jake

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own the 45c and Love it to death, its all personal preference. I have shot both and chose the .45 over the 40 (although I used to own a 40). The only differences I think you'll see is that the 45 holds two less rounds (But has a metal mag instead of composite), and has a more recoil (Although very easy to reacquire during controlled rapid firing). I think you'll be happy with either purchase, but would pick the 45 over the 40 if it was me....

Sincerely,

Mike

G

·
The .45 is going to be more accurate but with increased recoil (physics) FWIW, I would not carry any .45 round under 200 grains for any reason, but that is your choice.

You do give up "capacity" but you get a better mag. .45ball is available for less cost than .40 ball.

The .357sig USPc is my favorite of all of the compacts and the .45c would be choice number two for me.

But it really is a matter of personal preference as each will be equally reliable.

When it comes to terminal ballistics the .40 will hold it's own as long as you avoid the really poor 135gr loads and mid weight 155 loads.

If you choose well with a 165 or 180gr bullet weight/full power load like those from Pro Load with Gold Dot bullets you will be very, very close to the best top end .45 performance and equal to the best of the .357 Sig ammo.

You mentioned this person is a friend, I would arrange to shoot them both and wear them both while at the range and get the feel for them, you will definitely find one is more to your liking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.