Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking through various websites trying to edumicate myself on the workings of the USP, and I realize that in all the listings, there is no variant 8. Aybody have any info on what that might be?

I mean, assuming that the HK SWAT team won't be busting down my door for finding out :smile:

Anyway, I keep hearing these rave reviews about the USP, and was just wondering what seems to make them so popular? Opinions, anyone?

Eric

·
Registered
42 Posts
There's much ado regarding the fabled and mythical USP V8... I have heard from relatively credible sources that the V8 is:

**The P8 in Germany - reserved for German Police, etc.

**The USP40C with the LEM

Take your pick... anyone else have an idea/answer/theory?

As far as what makes the USP's so popular, etc... Shoot one and you'll understand why. They are arguably one of the finest out-of-the-box pistols you will ever find - they need NO customizing and they are as tough as nails and then some!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't read German, but I believe that Variant 8 is a Variant 7 with night sights. In the USP Pistol Armorers Instruction Manual, the Variant 8 is described as "Austauschteile zu Variante 8, DA, Traser light."

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is a little info on CCFA's {scroll down ca. 3/4 of pg.} site @:

http://www.ccfa.com/hkpistol.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-10-28 01:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is what I suspect is the variant 8.

It was only available in Germany. I think it is now refered to as the P8 model USP. The primary differnce is the safety lever operates opposite all the other variants. The safety must be moved UP to disengage.

I think its the current germany military pistol.

The USP is a very accurate gun with a good DA/SA trigger. It is also highly reliable, mine having eaten just about everything I feed it. Grip angle is very user friendly and lends itself well to point shooting. The full size gun I find has very little recoil , probably due to its unique recoil system. The Compact which I have is also very easy to control. The controls are easily accessable, and there are several ways to carry the gun safely. The magazine release is ambidexterous and I find it uniquely useable. Takedown is simple for field maintenance, detail stripping being a bit more complicated though.
Sights are robust but very utilitarian. The gun has a H&K HE treatment to the steel creating a hard and very rust resistant surface.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-10-28 01:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-10-28 01:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Variant 8 is the German military service issue pistol, and is designated the P8. It has the same frame mounted control lever, but it works much like the Walther/S&W safety, where by "up" is fire, and "down" is decock/safe. The magazines are transparent, or at least have a transparent "window" so that one may count rounds. Another most interesting difference is that it utilizes land and groove rifling, as opposed to the polygonal system used in the other USPs. Here is the info straight from H&K:

http://www.heckler-koch.de/html/english ... index.html

G

·
You guys are fast and good.
As an FYI, the lands and grooves were specified to improve accuracy with the "light" 9mm issue rounds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks guys for all the info. I may consider a USP Compact .45 for a little fun. For now, I'm pretty happy with my Glocks. Well, still prefer 1911, but agency won't allow it...at all.

Thanks,

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.