Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the laws regarding the lawful possession of pre-ban (1994), hi-cap magazines, but before I buy a hi-cap for my 9c, I have one question. Since the USP9c was not in production at the time of the ban, how is it possible to have a legal hi-cap magazine for it? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Because what is banned is the magazine; pre-ban mags are legal in post ban guns. You can check it out under Title 18 of the US Code, that is, if you hae a week and a half with nothing to do!.

an important exception to the above "rule" is purported to be that what is "banned" is the entire magazine, i.e., follower, spring, locking plate, floor plate and tube.

there is a lot of commentary on HKPro (unfortunately his site is now down) in which it is reported to be legal to take a 13 round pre-ban magazine, acquire a post ban mag tube and spring and locking plate and floor plate, and use the follower from the pre-ban mag, as a result of which since "no new high cap mag feeding device has been created," the resulting 18 round (or whatever) magazine is in fact legal.

In any event, I'd not worry about carrying a pre-ban mag in a post ban gun. On the other hand, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may be way off base here, but I don't think that was the question. the usp/c9 was introduced in 97 (I think) and there are some pre bans floating around at rediculous prices....is the question how are there pre ban mags for a weapon introduced after the 94 law went into effect? there are lots of theories...the one I support is that they are from overseas and smuggled into the country, now I think most 13 rounders made have some sort of LEO/Not for sale in USA on them, but they did not always...another theory is some were made prior to 94 for the german police pistol trials and imported/created before the ban-seems kinda far fetched to me. it sure is a grey area. I would not buy any personally, the difference of 3 rounds is not worth the $125 per mag I've seen...if you are dying to and want to dance around the grey area, get plugged compact 40 mags for your 9-they hold 13 rounds of 9mm perfectly and feed perfectly as well...but I'm not sure if it is entirely legal.
I have 4 usp's and the compact 9 is my favorite-a joy to shoot and carry.
enjoy it. sorry to be so long winded.
cheers,
Derek

G

·
All high capacity magazines for the USPC series are all post ban manufacture, even the SOCOM mags that are advertised everywhere it seems are post ban.

FWIW, without giving anything away the mags do have identifying "traits" and HK can and has verified the manufacure date by lot# of magazines that were illegally imported into the USA in at least two cases that were brought against dealers/smugglers entering/shipping them into the US.

The posession of a labeled restricted device is a criminal offense.
Knowingly purchasing and posessing an illegal restricted device is also a criminal offense.
You can be charged for posessing one of these mags even if it is not labeled as restricted/LEO as it is possible to verify when and where the magazines were manufactured.

Not every manufacturer builds their parts with marking traits, but HK, Glock, and Sig do.
Please do not post or email me asking what they are or how to remove them.
They are their and forewarned is forarmed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.