Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who care, I am trying to gather info on classifier high factors. The list I had is about a year old and doesn’t have any of the new divisions. Please send me what you have and I will post a more complete list here soon.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
59 Posts
That would be breaking USPSA rules.

"Several people have suggested that with a little effort, one could collect enough information from published information to calculate a reasonable estimate of the maximum hit factors. Nothing prevents a member from doing that. However, the USPSA ' Board has expressed their intent to entertain legal action against anyone who might make the information public. This would include publishing the data on the internet and in print."

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew it was somewhat hush hush, but I had not seen the above statement. Hmm. Maybe I need to call Sedro and make sure I don’t get my ass in a crack.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is absurd!

I have seen USPSA's warning many times and laughed. It's crazy.

For anyone who doesn't know, the formula is as follows:

(your hit factor for a stage)/(high hit factor for the stage)=your % for the stage.

You know your hit factor and your percentage. High hit factor is unknown. Solve for high hit factor.

I am not an attorney, but I think that USPSA would have a really hard time sucessfully suing someone for solving this trivial piece of 6th grade math.

If, say, Todd Jarrett were to have the high hit factor on the El Presidente, could USPSA prohibit him from publically announcing his time and points for the stage? Come on! The boys in Sedro need to relax a bit.

Anyone from USPSA want to comment?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TaxPhd on 2001-06-25 10:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
59 Posts
USPSA clearly explains why they don't want people to publish the high hit factors. It doesn't say you can't figure it out, they just don't want you to publish the results.

Here's what it says on the web page:

Publication of the classification hit factor would allow sandbaggers to manage their classifications. With prior knowledge of the results of a single pass at a stage, the sandbagger knows whether or not to bully the RO into sending or not sending the score into the home office.

The classification system was developed over a period of time by the members who shot it, made suggestions, and paid mission count fees to complete the system. As such, the classification system belongs to the membership and is an asset of the corporation. To publish the hit factors would destroy the value of the system since any non-USPSA club or member could duplicate the classification process. Classifications could be 'sold' to non-members.

USPSA offers classifications to other IPSC Regions and derives revenue from those classification matches in other countries. Publishing the hit factors would allow any country to duplicate at no cost, what our members paid to build.

Publication of the hit factors would allow any commercial shooting range or club to use our stages and classification system to promote their profit making operation. USPSA members should benefit from their system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tom,
I have also heard the same thing about not publishing HHF. I have posted on numerous other forums about this matter. I don't like the system that doesn't allow us to know the HHF's. I understand what they are trying to do, but I wish they would only let shooters shoot the classifier one time only in a match.

The sandbaggers are going to sandbag anyway. Grandbaggers are going to grandbag the best they can, except if they only shoot the classifier one time per match, then it wouldn't matter if they knew the HHF or not. If they ain't got the skills, you ain't gettin the score. Anyway, I have some HHF's on classifiers for Limited. If you need them for Open, I know a couple of guys who know a few. Contact me via private email and I'll see what I can do this way we won't post them.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.