Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

Jardine fits up a nice gun. I have seen several Colts he has done and they were very nice. No slight intended here, but....

Amazing how much the frame, slide and parts looks like a messaged Les Baer. Those Italian fellows are pretty good at making a nice copy. What exactly do the manufacture and import marks say on the other side? I am really curious now!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-01 05:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dane - the right side of the gun has the serial # and address of the importer/distributor on the frame, and the words "CUSTOM .45 ACP" in a much better looking font (than the 1998A1 on the left side). Personally, I prefer my slide with minimal markings. The large roll mark just doesn't do it for me ...

I'm not sure what part of the slide in particular reminds you of the Baer, but they make all of their own parts excluding the magazine ... which reminds me of the kimber mag :eek:. While it is interchangeable there are many differences that make it a better slide IMO.

Thanks for attaching the pics, Dane! :grin:

·
Registered
720 Posts
How 'bout the gun looks the way John Jardine designed it, exactly to his taste and the marketplace. It's not a copy of anything but all the 1911's that have come before. I'm sure you didn't mean to cast aspersions. After all, the Valtro will never be a BCP Custom.

I've talked to John and I know how the gun came to be. It's an interesting story if you have a chance to hear it from him sometime. Basically, he was introduced to the Italian firm by a wealthy world traveller and shooting enthusiast.

The Italians were going in a completely different direction until John visited their facility for a few days and suggested that a production 1911 with custom features, forged 4130 frame and slide, accurate with great fit and finish would sell in the U.S. and elsewhere. Especially at $1200.

According to John, each shipment requires less and less attention from him before shipping to his customers. As someone has said, John is a perfectionist and he won't send out something that's not right.

The Valtro is well on its way to fulfulling its promise of a high quality production gun.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hey don't get me wrong here (and I am sure some will) these guns look like and from what I have been told are incredible values.

$2000 retail might even be a great deal.

This is the first picture I have seen of a Valtro gun. I am the first to tell you a picture won't tell you much. My living is made by seeing the details in a 1911. Remeber they only have 50 some parts.

I know a number of list members saw them in person at the SHOT show last year.

What I see that made me question where the gun comes from..and I would still like to see the serial number side of a Valtro.. is the following:

High grip cut, dbl serrations, Bomar cut, trigger guard cuts. Parts? Beavertail, thumb safety, mag release all look made in the USA and common.

I have seen some of Jardines work and had the chance to detail strip it and look inside and outside. Nice guns as I said before. So the detailing on the outside of the gun is no surprise. The checkeing in this picture puts any LB gun I have seen to shame. No question some work went there!

I am a curious guy. I have seen the shell game that the parts manufactures are a part of and am now a part of it myself having parts manufactured to my specs.

No question it looks like a nice gun. I hope Jardin sells a million of them....trying to buy one myself. Anyone got a numer besides Jardine's shop where I can? I have only gotten an answering machine and no return calls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dane - I'm naturally curious myself so I'd be the last to criticize for that :grin:.

Parts are all Made in Italy ... many are machined instead of cast, but with some of the improvements made in metal matrix, sintering etc. this may not always be the case (my own opinion of course ...).

My apologies beforehand about the rush picture, but ... I'm in a rush :razz:

http://b16a.com/~izrafil/valtro/Valtro-Camo003.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh btw ... my apologies to those who read the contact info I posted and got no response when they called ... I forgot that John is probably away hunting at the moment. :eek:

I have some work I'd like done as well lol :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys,

Awesome pics! I can't get to wait mine! i just signed for it last sunday. I like the color of the grips. Previous pictures had a more light orangeish color.

John is a great guy. If he has time before leaving on his hunting trip, i'm going to meet up with him to test fire it with him this week. He say he just tests fires them to make sure everyone is running the way he likes :smile:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Congratulations! I had to postpone getting my Valtro for a few weeks. You may have gotten the one I was in line for. Oh, well!
I can wait.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-10-10 23:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Only downside seems to be they didn't learn the lesson from Colt not to put the year on their guns in huge-ass letters... :razz:

·
Registered
720 Posts
If John Jardine was an internet kind of guy I'd send him copies of the several messages on this board complaining about that roll mark.

I don't like it either. Fortunately, it's not a true roll stamping, but some kind of electrical etching and is only a couple thousanths of an inch deep. Can you spell "surface grinder" boys and girls?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.