Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, do any of the people who have handled a Valtro .45, are they're any modifications they think are nessisary that are not offered by the factory? In other words, would you think that it would even be worth the time to have a smith do any modifications to it?

-BH

· Registered
709 Posts
Still waiting on my Valtro but I'm clear about its features.

The only two things I could think of for a smith to add are some sort of mag well and some sort of plating or polymer coating.

John Jardine will tig weld and fully blend a big mag well on the Valtro or fit and finish an S&A magwell before shipment if desired (at extra cost). The mag well comes with a nicely done carry bevel already.

He will also have the frame or entire pistol chrome plated at extra cost before shipment.

Of course these modifications can be done by someone else after you receive the gun.

The Valtro comes with ambi safeties. You can request a left side only extended safety instead.

There is no other modification necessary to improve fit and finish, reliability or accuracy. The value of this gun is the number of custom features included for the price.

You can talk to John Jardine if you'd like.
I don't have the number in front of me but it has been posted several times.

Hope that helps. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-21 22:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-23 21:15 ]</font>

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do indeed like everything it seems to come with, or one of the options. I think that a left side only saftie and hardcrome would be more to my liking, but would still prefer a fixed site. I read somewhere that they're possiblly going to put one out eventually....that would be espially nice...as close to perfect for a 1911 I want as reality could produce.

yes....yes indeed...... :smile:

· Registered
709 Posts
I like Heinie fixed sights in particular.
However, all my full size 1911's have had Bo-mars. Hardly ever adjusted them, true.

I never had one break, either. I guess you could say that my Bo-mars have been durable "once-adjusted, fixed sights."

I'm not inclined to wait for an "it's coming someday" pistol with fixed sights. Others may feel differently. :smile: Still waitin' for my Valtro.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-22 10:34 ]</font>

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good point about waiting for that elusive "someday it will be perfect" time, because I don't think those sort of days ever really come..... :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Burrahobbit on 2001-08-22 14:22 ]</font>

· Registered
709 Posts
I have too much time on my hands I guess, but since the Valtro is an Italian-made 1911-style pistol being sold in America....

Maybe it's original Italian name was a "Valtrolini" or a "Valtronelli" or a "Valtropistoladomani" and it's shortened its name like a good American immigrant. What do ya' think? It could happen. It's really a Valtro-nocka-da-offa-da-Browning.

I wonder if it's lubed with olive oil....

I'm going to my room now. :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-22 22:04 ]</font>

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have more questions which im quite sure no one will know this time! What is the quality of the hardcrome that he offers? Is it done at the factory, or even in Italy for that matter? AND, can fixed sites even be installed on the slide without extreme modifications, AND(!!!!)can there be a solid trigger option? (yes, yes I know i'm getting carried away, but I promise this is the last you'll here of me on these questions!) Thank you for your patience. :smile:

· Registered
709 Posts
The hardchrome is done in the U.S. - have to ask John Jardine where - I don't know. The pistols are shipped from Italy in only one configuration to keep the costs down.

I don't know any way to put fixed sights on a slide milled for Bomars without welding up the slide and remilling a cut (expensive and time-consuming.)

You could, of course, sight in the pistol, adjust the Bo-mars, and then drip Loctite 290 into the adjustment screws. Voilla! Fixed Sights! :lol:

Solid Trigger: John is currently disassembling, checking and reassembling the pistols. He might install a solid trigger. Of course, you could do that - or have it done, almost anywhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-23 21:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-23 21:32 ]</font>

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great, Ia thanka you! *kisses on the both cheaks*

(yes, I am carrying on the Italian joke, no I'm not like that, no I would not like to do *that* with you) :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Burrahobbit on 2001-08-23 22:26 ]</font>

· Registered
136 Posts
If you want a custom 1911, buying one is an option. Pistols like Valtro, Wilson CQB, etc are semi-custom production pieces.

Any time you want to make changes to the firearm, it will increase the cost. That choice is yours.

Having seen and fondled the prototypes, its a hell of a pistol. Knowing John, you are not getting ripped off or a second rate firearm.

Not to cut down on anybody as I know both of the folks I am going to mention. Possibly the only pistol plumber out there more anal-retentive than John is Richard Heinie. They both admit it. Both are craftsman.

Hard to believe that some one could top them, but our inquiring poster might.

FYI to weld up the slide and recut it for fixed sights will set you back over $300. Hardchrome another $250. Seems like you are defeating the purpose here, but it is your money.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, yes I would be tossing money away if I went nuts with the changes. I believe I would be more than happy with the Valtro hardcromed, and thats about all the changes I would really desire. THanks

· Registered
709 Posts
I'm with you,Burrahobbit.

I'm going to shoot my Valtro a while and then get it hardchromed. Probably by Tripp. He's close, fast and has a good reputation.

BTW, There's value in having a bright, visible pistol. In 1988, while checking in to a motel in Augusta, GA in the industrial side of town, I had a local no-good follow me into my room smiling and talking.

I had a handful of belongings. He started toward me telling me he needed some money to keep traveling. I didn't see a weapon, but one hand was behind his back.

I dropped the stuff on the bed and showed him my nickel-plated Detonics Combatmaster with the big hole in front. I also suggested that he get the hell out. He did, but he acted like it wasn't the first time he'd had a gun pointed at him.

About ten minutes later, I was standing in my doorway and spotted him across the street at the Burger King talking to one of his buddies. He was standing there, talking animatedly, and his hands were about three feet apart like he was telling a fish story.

I got the impression he was talking about the size of the pistol he had just had pointed at him. I had to laugh. My little chopped .45 had appeared like a hand cannon to him.

Like I say, it pays to have a bright, visible pistol -- helps even more to have a big hole in the front -- about .45 caliber. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-24 18:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-25 00:15 ]</font>

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hah, thats a great story. Those are the sort of things ya hear that really make you understand why it's so important to many to be able to defend themselves.

· Registered
709 Posts
"Valtro, Valtro. Wherefore art thou, Valtro?"
I'm tired of talkin' about it and I want my Valtro now! (Listen quietly and you can hear Carly Simon singing, "Anticipation" in the background.)

It's times like this that I realize I'm an adult going on 5 years old. I want what I want when I want it!

Anybody know of a 12-step program for impatience? "Hi, I'm Rob and I'm really impatient."

Dane knows it's true. Don't you Dane? :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-08-28 23:35 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.