Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I recently got a S&W SW40V that had been turned over to police by my sister (really long story).

Anyway, I'm thinking of selling, and I'd like to know what the value of this might be (I don't even know what they sold for new).

The barrel's in good condition, and the slide and frame are in good condition. The recoil spring is rusty, and the two 10 round magazines are very rusty inside, slightly rusty outside, and the mag springs are a lost cause. I haven't fired it yet, but it seems to be in good working condition (I know next to nothing about Sigmas and Glocks/Glock clones in general).

To save trouble, I'm thinking of just letting a local gun store sell it, but obviously I won't get as much for it if I do that.

I think it was bought in 1998. Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance,
-Adam

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
value of SW40V

I hear you. Like I said, I don't know anything about these Sigmas. I went to a local gun shop, and the smith there examined the pistol. He said as far as he could tell, it's never been fired. I gave it a rudimentary cleaning (got the manual off smith-wesson.com), but he said there'd be some markes on the barrel over the chamber if the action had been cycled a lot due to firing. He agreed that the magazines are a lost cause, but he said the gun itself is actually in excellent condition.

I just left it there on consignment, so we'll see where it goes. We threw a $225 price tag on it, at the sales guy's recommendation, so I'll see if it sells in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
-Adam

· Registered
51 Posts
levins... I was just looking over your thread and thought I might try and help a little. There were a couple negative comments about the Sigma without any details. My friend purchased a Sigma in their first year of production. This was his duty piece, and he liked it. When it functioned as designed, he could shoot it as good or better than other pistol he owned. But, the Sigma has had substantial problems since their inception. My buddies had significant FTF problems. Several trips to [email protected] did not fix the problem. New magazines were purchased, old mags were rebuilt. But to know avail. We thought this to be very odd, as [email protected] does make fine pistols. From the 39, right on up to the PC 945s. Trigger problems also plagued his pistol. But a couple trips to our local smith fixed that. Sadly, the Sigma has had these problems across the board. I hope you are not disappointed when you go to sell. Check out some of the auctions sites (gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, gunsamerica.com) and see for yourself what we are talking about. If the gun were in 90%+ condition, I would say that $275 would be a great price for YOU. Take care, -Jay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.