Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading for about a year, but only cast bullets in 45ACP. Decided to try some Speer 200gr JHP's.
From three different books, I get max loads between 5.8 and 7.4 grains of W231. That seems to me to be a significant variation. Is the 7.4 grain load feasable and/or safe?

Any favorite recipes for these components?

Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
It probably is a safe MAX load in the firearm they used and made up with all the same components noted in the book that gave that particular load. It is certainly not a starting place.

If you are going to use the Speer 200gr JHP, I would suggest using the loads that Speer gives:

Start at 5.6gr 231 for 769fps +/-
Max at 6.3gr 231 for 857 +/-

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Speer data. Didn't have that.
I'll stick with the 6.3gr max. That 7.4gr load just seems like a big jump compared to the other books. (came from Midway's .45acp Load Map)

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have one, and Midway's load map does seem to indicate higher max charges than most other reloading data. As a good cross check, you can go to Winchester's web site, or call or write them, and they will send you their free reloading pamphlet for all their powders. I typically use their recommended charges.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Most of the powder makers have web sites with Max load data on them...Be safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.