Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a Vega stainless Government Model this afternoon that can be had for a very reasonable price. It is in very good condition, and someone has installed a set of Heinie Straight Eights and a set of Navridex micarta grips. I am not familir with Vega, and they are not listed in the Blue Book. I am looking at this for a project gun. Any info anyone might have on this gun would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wayne Miller
Spanaway, WA

·
Registered
285 Posts
Last year I had the opportunity to buy a Vega-framed bullseye pistol. It was tempting (the pistol seemed solid and was relatively cheap), but I decided not to gamble on the unknown name.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Vega came out in the '70s, only the second stainless 1911. It was said to be better built than an AMT Hardballer. The only one I ever saw definitely looked better but Pachmayr's was not interested in letting me try it out. Since the one you are looking at is very second hand, can you testfire it?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I had a Vega years ago, just after they came out. I cannot recommend them. The one I had, and the others I have seen, were out of spec in several areas. Mine had warped frame rails, an out of spec slide stop window, and miss-located trigger pin hole.

The slide wasn't any better. The Vega was an early attempt at an all casted gun. They didn't do it right, and went bust in short order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.