Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Yesterday, I took a MkIII 9mm to the range and compared the factory bbl to a Barsto in terms of accuracy, but only used one brand of factory ammunition and did not use any cast bullets.

The Barsto fitted the gun such that the slide would audibly "click" when the bbl locked into place, similar to a fitted 1911 or Les Baer. The factory bbl did not do this, but there was no visible bbl-to-slide movement.

No malfunctions occurred with either bbl.

In short, both grouped very well. I noted no difference in group size. Both would do about 1" @ 10 yards, standing w/2-hand hold and a bit larger at 15 yards. Probably, one did outshoot the other, but was not visible in my hands, which is one of my points: In practical terms, there's no real advantage to the Barsto in a properly fitted HP.

I suspect strongly that this is why HP gurus like Wickmann and Novak do not push match bbls and suggest going with the factory bbl unless it just won't "shoot." This also fits with an article in which the intrinsic accuracy levels of 1911 bbls were tested. In short, these bbls, which ranged from GI to match, were fired from a fixture in which the bbl did not move at all. I don't remember the exact figures at all, but even the GI bbl from the fixture would outshoot the finest match bbl or at least compete with it, when the later was fired from a pistol to which it had been fitted. I am pretty well convinced now that the slide-to-bbl fit is the more important than whether or not you have a match bbl.

If you prefer to use cast bullets in the 9mm HP, past personal experience has shown me that the Barsto does group better with its 1:16 twist vs. the factory bbl's 1:10.

Best.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have noticed no real difference between the factory and the Bar-sto barrels in hi-powers. The best accuracy that I have seen was with a recrowned factory barrel, actually. I have not done a comparison with different ammo types from a rest and doubt that I ever will, but I think that the factory barrels are plenty good...but I still like seeing the Bar-sto name on the barrel. Go figure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Isnt the factory bbl "in the white"...carbon steel and the Bar-Sto stainless? I tend to opt for anything in stainless myself. But only if it needed replacing. An entire SS BHP would be a dream gun to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.